NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   I'm a Blood donor (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/94411-im-blood-donor.html)

Cooley 07-20-2009 08:21 AM

I'm a Blood donor

I donate blood is it ok for people with MG to be blood donors?

Joanmarie63 07-20-2009 10:21 AM

Very good question! I used to be a blood donor and after I was DXed I was told not to donate anymore. Some Drs say yes, some say no so I just stopped because I don't know the true answer.

caoiltom 07-20-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooley (Post 540011)
I donate blood is it ok for people with MG to be blood donors?

I checked the blood donation uk web site a few years ago and as far as I remember people with autoimmune disorders cannot donate blood. Also if you have had ivig, as its a blood product, I don't think you can donate. Hope this helps.

rach73 07-20-2009 01:55 PM

Hi

here in the UK you are told not to donate blood or be an organ donor.

There is a theory that someone could develop the disease I guess. I know that a long time ago they injected mice with a serum made from MG patients blood and they all developed symptoms of Myasthenia Gravis.

I had to give up blood donating as they could never get a vein.

Hope this helps
Rach:winky:

Tbarney 07-20-2009 02:24 PM

My neuro said it would be ok, but I decided myself to quit. It physically drains me when I give blood anyway, so add MG on top of it, I bet it would wipe me out.

I keep thinking about plasma exchanges. If they are taking your blood out and cleaning it, how could it be healthy to donate blood? I have decided it would not be wise to give anymore. I used to give blood 2 -3 times a year.

Joanmarie63 07-20-2009 02:53 PM

Amazing that we were all blood donors. I wonder if anyone has gotten MG from donated blood. Tbarney said it right, they clean our blood so I guess it could be transferred to others in donated blood. Just not sure about it, I mean my children don't have it.

AnnieB3 07-20-2009 03:56 PM

The blood source between Mom's and kids is a little different. Too worn out right now to give you sites. Mom's with MG can have babies with temporary MG symptoms, etc.

Tbarney, That is exactly the logic behind people with autoimmune diseases not giving blood. It hasn't been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that those with autoimmune diseases can "give" the disease to others by giving blood. But considering they don't really know jack about autoimmune diseases and how they work, why take the chance?

I sure wouldn't want to give someone blood even if the chance of them getting MG, even temporarily, was 1%.

Annie

erinhermes 07-20-2009 07:21 PM

I wouldn't donate anymore.....

I think it is so cool that you are such a kind and giving person, but I would not donate anymore. After all, our blood is jam packed with too many antibodies and since the CAUSE of MG is unknown, I would not risk it......

I was also told by all of my dr's that I CANNOT donate blood due to the MG...

Hope this helps!

Big hugs!
Erin:D

Cooley 07-22-2009 11:48 AM

Thanks for all the info guess I will cancel my next donor clinic appointment.
I won't donate until I find out what's going on.
I donate because I have a hard to find blood type (at least in Canada) -A
they call looking for me if I don't book appointments

Giving blood is right up there with having my period with this illness yes I agree it wipes me right out.

maryec 07-22-2009 03:24 PM

cooley
I was told not to give blood, also no organ donation. I had to take the organ donation off my license.
Take care,
Mary