NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   New to MS - Betaseron question (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/142048-ms-betaseron-question.html)

New2MS 01-01-2011 07:08 PM

New to MS - Betaseron question

I have just started Betaseron and am on the lowest dose (first 2 weeks). Does anyone find that they are tired the day after the shot? I also take Nuvigil but it doesn't seem to help! I am worried that when I get to full strength, I will be way too tired!

Kitty 01-01-2011 07:57 PM

Hi and welcome to NeuroTalk! :welcome_sign:

That's one of the potential side effects of Beta although fatigue is a symptom of MS, too. I took Provigil while I was on it and it helped for a while. Be sure to write down all your symptoms while you titrate up on your dose so you can let your Neuro know. Good luck!

Dejibo 01-02-2011 08:54 AM

Flu side effects are common while on Beta, even on the lowest dose. Advil/tylenol/aleeve style products can help. As you get adjusted to it, the side effects normally back up some and that will allow you to go forward onto the larger dose. Dont be afraid to ask to stay on the starter dose till you are fully adjusted.

Give yourself tons of rest time, and relaxation time while you adjust. :hug:

viseeu 01-04-2011 01:52 AM

Fatigue is a major symptom of MS. I've been on betaseron for over 10 years and never found it (per say) to cause fatigue the day of or day after shooting up. The MS fatigue is a different story. Early in my diagnosis, first year on beta, fatigue was a HUGE problem--along with all the fears, concerns, unknown symptoms, having to self inject, blah blah blah. They didn't have "starter dosing" in 2000, was at "the dose" from day one and that never has been a problem. still have chills/body aches about 50% of the time I take it, but tylenol/ibuphrophen take care of that.

I explored options to help with the fatigue and found something that worked for me. I'm sure if you peruse the boards, there are many suggestions for helping with fatigue.

:hug:

Dejibo 01-04-2011 08:35 AM

Vi! nice to see you again! You were so instrumental in my early days of MS in helping me find my footing and balance. Glad you are back! :hug:

Mariel 01-04-2011 04:10 PM

I never agreed to take the Betaseron back when MS was my primary diagnosis. However now I have been taking Intron-A for two and a half weeks (InterferonA as opposed to B)
to combat Polycythemia Vera. I am not doing well with it. My foot pain PV has increased to the point where I cannot walk without agony. I may have to quit it. I was tested today for uric acid to see if the Interferon produced gout. I'll know tomorrow when I see the hematologist if that is the culprit, or just the PV itself. Am I tired? Well,
not especially, but I can't do much because I can't walk without extreme pain. I am on the initial dose of Intron-A however.

Friend2U 01-05-2011 03:16 AM

I have been on Beta for well over a year, close to two. What little flu-like sx I had initially subsided gradually. I can't tell now that it gives me any side effects at all. So hang in there. I guess, like ms, it may affect everyone differently. :hug: