NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Constipation from "opioid" medications (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/187179-constipation-opioid-medications.html)

CRPSsongbird 04-18-2013 06:38 PM

Constipation from "opioid" medications

We all know it happens. I've been trying senna and a light laxative, miralax type things. I eat apples and fresh veggies for fiber too. Does anyone know what else can help? My doctor wasn't sure what else to suggest other than what I've been doing already. Have any of you found something that helps with out yet some other prescription?

SloRian 04-18-2013 06:49 PM

I'm lucky in that I'm not as bad in this area as a lot of people, but I've dealt a little with it, and it can be so painful :( I just try to drink a lot of water, and eat the "stronger" kinds of fruits for this, like apricots. There was some type of grain that my mother-in-law recommended - I'll ask her next time I see her and post it. Good luck!!

daylilyfan 04-18-2013 07:51 PM

Opiates have not helped me, so I've never tried this -- but this paste has been mentioned here many times as well as on other sites. It always gets good reviews.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...tipation+paste

Brambledog 04-19-2013 03:00 AM

I've been lucky enough not to have it for a while, but I did when I was on regular codeine...its a horrible thing to deal with. In the end, after trying loads of things similar to what you describe, the best thing I found was to use natural prune juice. The reason I ended up trying it was because it was the one thing that helped when our youngest was little and suffered dreadfully from constipation, which set up a cycle of fear and problems. Bless her, the doctor prescribed meds didn't work, nor did pharmacy meds, but prune juice did :)

Try drinking half a glass three times a day. It's completely natural so there's no side effects, and i 'got relief' (lol) within two days. Once things were better, I took half a glass every day to keep things moving. Ace stuff, and it tastes quite nice too.

Hope it works for you.

Bram.

Allanira 04-20-2013 10:09 AM

My PCM just put me on miralax 2x a day and Docusate 2x a day. It seems to be working. You might want to take a stol softnr it does work. Sorry for spelling this med Im on is startng to make me feel drunk lol.

bfff2020 04-22-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRPSsongbird (Post 976384)
We all know it happens. I've been trying senna and a light laxative, miralax type things. I eat apples and fresh veggies for fiber too. Does anyone know what else can help? My doctor wasn't sure what else to suggest other than what I've been doing already. Have any of you found something that helps with out yet some other prescription?

Docusate Sodium 100mg twice a day works great for me and my dose of opiates is very high

be well

SloRian 04-22-2013 12:20 PM

OK, I talked to my mother-in-law, and it was flax seed. Not the oil, just the grain. You can get it in most stores (health food section of regular grocery stores, or places like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods).

It seemed to help me when I had some difficulties with constipation. You just sprinkle a tablespoon or two on something you're eating (yogurt, whatever) several times a day. Keep it in the fridge.

Anyway, it got me past a tough spot, and I hope it might help you, too!

RSD31 04-23-2013 12:15 AM

X2 on flax seed

AintSoBad 04-23-2013 06:52 PM

I agree , Mirilax is the way to go! (sorry for the double entoundre') haha!

just take a half dose daily..... watch what you eat, (steaks, anything blocking), and you'll be fine.

Pete

ASB

SloRian 04-23-2013 08:20 PM

The "way to go" - ouch! :D