NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Books, Movies, Music and TV Talk (https://www.neurotalk.org/books-movies-music-and-tv-talk/)
-   -   Movies: Australia.... the movie (https://www.neurotalk.org/books-movies-music-and-tv-talk/60090-australia-movie.html)

Koala77 11-19-2008 04:22 AM

Australia.... the movie

"Australia" starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman premiered here in Oz last night.

It's already had rave reviews, so I certainly hope neither you nor I will be disppointed when we finally get to see the film. :)

I haven't had the opportunity to see it yet, as it was only shown in Sydney and in the country towns where parts of the film were recorded.

FYI... when you get to see the movie... there's a part where they drive the cattle to a small country town, and thence to the cattle sale yards........ that part was filmed in Bowen. Bowen is a very small town in north east Australia, in the state of Queensland ... and just happens to be the town where my sister lives.

Here's a teeny little preview for you.....

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=oWWOgMuD-C4&NR=1

Alffe 11-19-2008 08:41 AM

Can't wait to see it! :hug:

mrsD 11-19-2008 11:10 AM

I saw Nicole and Hugh

on Oprah--she had a 1 hr special. And since I LOVE Hugh Jackman...hubba hubba, I watched it (I don't like Oprah much).

Hugh said that the clothes they wore were soooo hot, warm, he fainted once. Guess a certain type of wool conformed to the body the best on camera...but was not the right thing for the high temperature filming.

Several clips were shown tho...looks good so far!
Hugh Jackman is very good in interviews and in person. He has alot of personality.

watsonsh 11-19-2008 11:16 AM

I cannot wait to see this movie! :wink:

tovaxin_lab_rat 12-13-2008 04:55 PM

Me too. Having been to Oz i am wondering if i will recognize anything!

Lara 12-29-2008 07:46 AM

I've not seen it yet!
My residual vertigo causes me so many day to day problems and getting into the movies is a right pain!!! <sigh>

I love all of Baz Luhrmann's movies. I think he's an absolute genius.

What he did with Moulin Rouge and Strictly Ballroom was just incredible I think.

However... calling a movie "Australia" is a big thing in my own opinion. I hope it lives up to the word and what it might mean to me let alone anyone else. I don't want this movie to be about Nicole and Hugh. I want it to be really, really real and I'm getting scared about going to see it. I'm wondering if like many other amazing films from here that it will just not be understood. "Rabbit Proof Fence" comes to mind, and gosh, so many others.

Knowing what Baz has done before though, and knowing the absolute and immaculate costuming his wife Catherine Martin has done in the past and knowing that Nic and Hugh had such a huge personal input in this movie is enough I think. I just didn't want to go to see a movie called "Australia" and find it was filled with fake accents. I loathe it when aussie actors go over the top and tend towards slang in movies when it's not necessary.

Just my humble aussie thoughts. :)

I'd better try to get to see this movie on the big screen hey. I didn't see Moulin Rouge on the big screen but I watch it often. Maybe 'cause I'm madly in love with Ewan McGregor. :o sorry Eve!!!

In the year of our newly elected government finally, finally, finally saying "SORRY" to our indigenous peoples, I have a gut feeling this movie is actually saying some good things for a change. I sure hope so. Maybe the rest of the world will not understand it though. We're a weird mob.

Hopefully, I will.

mrsD 12-29-2008 12:01 PM

and Hugh Jackman is there...

can't forget THIS GUY! duh!

Lara 12-29-2008 07:19 PM

Hugh Jackman is a bit of a hunk to say the least. :)

He's a really nice guy by all accounts as well and he has a lovely wife and family.

mrsD 12-29-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 435735)
Hugh Jackman is a bit of a hunk to say the least. :)

He's a really nice guy by all accounts as well and he has a lovely wife and family.

Oh, yes, Lara. I've seen interviews with him.
One from long ago when Xmen first came out.

He has one very engaging personality. (among other things)

Lara 04-17-2009 05:13 PM

I finally got to see the movie. :D :D

I wish I'd seen it on the big screen at the cinemas but that wasn't to be, so I borrowed it from a neighbour and actually watched it twice. I need to watch it a few more times. There were all these little clues and gems of photography and costume and colour that I want to check out again and again.

Baz Luhrmann is a genius.

There was so much bad press here about Nicole Kidman but I didn't have too much problem with her role at all. I thought she did a fine job considering the role and the fact it was set in 1938.

I found it strange to watch in some ways... some of it had a certain ethereal or other-world feeling about it. Many of the scenes looking out to the harbour and the actual homestead were brilliantly done. I loved the use of colour in backgrounds and costume.

Sitting here watching it in 2009, I found myself cringing at some of the language. Language that isn't used in this day and age thankfully, but I understood the need for it to be included as it was a major part of the whole plot. I see a sequel coming on. Apparently Baz Luhrmann made several endings and he made a last minute choice to end it the way it was released.

I did wonder how the actual 'message' would translate in other parts of the world.

I could write more and more, but it might become boring to others. LOL