NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   My eyes are swollen? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/85640-eyes-swollen.html)

whirlwind123 04-27-2009 01:05 PM

My eyes are swollen?

I have allergies and I could feel my eyes swelling., but I thought oh it is my allergies., but I just looked in the mirror and they are swollen( not the eyeball itself., the eyelid) . My eyes are twitching also. This is my I think 4th day on mestinon., I went today for my ct scan on my thymus and go to the doctor on wednesday.

So., can your eyes swell with this., and there is the twitching also?

erinhermes 04-27-2009 01:57 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Yes! I also have the same problem - to this day I wake up with swollen eyes.......they go down after I've been up and around for a while!

The twitching is also prolly Mestinon related. I know my neuro told me it COULD be one of the side effects..........too much or too little could be the culprit.

I pray you get some GOOD news on WEdnesday. Please keep us posted!

Big, big hugs!
Erin:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by whirlwind123 (Post 501882)
I have allergies and I could feel my eyes swelling., but I thought oh it is my allergies., but I just looked in the mirror and they are swollen( not the eyeball itself., the eyelid) . My eyes are twitching also. This is my I think 4th day on mestinon., I went today for my ct scan on my thymus and go to the doctor on wednesday.

So., can your eyes swell with this., and there is the twitching also?

AnnieB3 04-27-2009 03:17 PM

Whirlwind (& Erin), Swelling of the eyelids is NOT a symptom of MG. If you are specifically talking about the eyelids themselves having tissue inflammation, then it is probably an allergic response. It could be autoimmune if you had something like lupus or arthritis.

Whirlwind, What you should be doing is calling/seeing your primary doc or allergist right away. If you at all suspect that you may have an allergy to Mestinon, then you should stop taking it. Call your neuro, since he is the one who prescribed the drug, and tell him about it!!!

DO NOT WAIT. If you are having an allergic reaction, I don't think I have to tell you that it could get worse. You've had enough experience with allergies, right?

Erin, If you do have real swelling, then you need to talk to your doctor. It could be from your Prednisone. Have you had a sleep apnea test?

Symptoms like this need attention right away . . . and not from this forum!!! Sorry to be so blunt, but you need to seek out medical care when things like this happen.

Annie

whirlwind123 04-27-2009 04:27 PM

I really appreciate your bluntness, to me that is you being honest.
I never thought about my eyes being swollen due to allergic reaction to the mestonin., I thought it was either MG or allergies to the pollen as it is very windy and high pollen count right now. Thanks again for everything.

erinhermes 04-27-2009 04:31 PM

THank you!

On it! I will call tomorrow!

THank you so much for all of your help!

Erin:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieB3 (Post 501945)
Whirlwind (& Erin), Swelling of the eyelids is NOT a symptom of MG. If you are specifically talking about the eyelids themselves having tissue inflammation, then it is probably an allergic response. It could be autoimmune if you had something like lupus or arthritis.

Whirlwind, What you should be doing is calling/seeing your primary doc or allergist right away. If you at all suspect that you may have an allergy to Mestinon, then you should stop taking it. Call your neuro, since he is the one who prescribed the drug, and tell him about it!!!

DO NOT WAIT. If you are having an allergic reaction, I don't think I have to tell you that it could get worse. You've had enough experience with allergies, right?

Erin, If you do have real swelling, then you need to talk to your doctor. It could be from your Prednisone. Have you had a sleep apnea test?

Symptoms like this need attention right away . . . and not from this forum!!! Sorry to be so blunt, but you need to seek out medical care when things like this happen.

Annie

AnnieB3 04-27-2009 05:17 PM

Whirlwind, This helps explain the effects of Mestinon on any allergic/asthma situation:

http://netwellness.uc.edu/question.cfm/31838.htm

Have you been assessed for asthma? I think that's a good idea, as I said before.

whirlwind123 04-28-2009 06:51 AM

Annie,
I have always had allergic asthma., but that really only flairs up when I am around cats., strong chemicals,...but I will see a pulmonologist.