NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   The ebb and flow (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/215020-ebb-flow.html)

KnowNothingJon 01-20-2015 02:44 PM

The ebb and flow

I know each person has varience in their PN and what is true for one person may not be true for all, though I was curious if many people experience an ebb and flow to their symptoms in a drastic manner.

I have been in a bad way for about a month. It has not stopped much in the way of my day, rather just added time whether it is stretching, medicating or just putting my head down for five minutes prior to setting forth.

I woke up today as symptom and pain free as I have since early last year. I have no idea what I've done different, save push myself hard at PT yesterday. Now I did spend most of Saturday and Sunday relaxing, so that could play a part.

I also inexplicably ate some of my daughter's Smarties (irony in the name) and paid the price all day Saturday.

Anyone, do you ecperience such breaks? I still have tingling and numbness, though even those appear reduced.

Thanks for your time,

Knocking on wood so hard I am getting dirty looks,

jon

mrsD 01-20-2015 04:55 PM

Sometimes coming down with a virus will give a flare in some people of pain.

Often the prodrome may be all you get...if your immune system is good...not everyone progresses to a full blown flu or whatever.

janieg 01-20-2015 05:39 PM

I have a lot of ebbs and flows, and have never been able to figure out a cause of either. I have kept logs of activities, food consumption, amount of sleep, glucose levels, etc...no trends or patterns have emerged.

I was a software engineer for many years, and not being able to "debug" this problem is almost as maddening as the problem itself.

cyclelops 01-20-2015 07:01 PM

I would say I am on a roller coaster...altho, I seldom get to any peaks in terms of feeling 'normal'.

MikeK 01-22-2015 11:18 AM

I think I've gotten to the point that I really worry when I have a really good day because two things:
1. I know its not going to last
2. what comes next is going to hurt

zkrp01 01-22-2015 02:03 PM

From weather to Potatoe Salad

I too have tried to connect the dots. I think that the quote on the bottom of your posts speaks volumes. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.

mrsD 01-22-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 1119679)
I think I've gotten to the point that I really worry when I have a really good day because two things:
1. I know its not going to last
2. what comes next is going to hurt

Your hospital stay could have involved some antibiotics that are known to cause PN... can you get your records and check?
Flagyl/Tindamax, Cipro, Levaquin/Avelox, Zyvox?

You are very fortunate to have recovered though..Sometimes one HAS to use toxic things in life threatening situations. But you can be viglilant and make sure you don't use them again, if possible.

http://www.medicinenet.com/legionnai...ever/page4.htm

KnowNothingJon 01-22-2015 02:24 PM

Well, the next day it started creeping back in- burning, discomfort, muscle tension, et al- back in play. Now, it was reduced, though it continues to build.

I enjoyed it as much as you can while wondering when the other piece of footwear was going to drop.

I am now hoping that I will have more periods of relie

You are right though, Ken it should be savored.

My best,

Jon

beatle 01-26-2015 09:25 PM

Yep, sounds like PN

I experience exactly what you describe. It is not just confusing to me but, well, I get a lot of "you seemed fine yesterday", "you look great, you really don't feel well?", "how were you able to travel yesterday but today you can't get out of bed?"

The answer is: I don't know. :confused:

beatle 01-26-2015 09:31 PM

And about sugar...

I know some PNers can tolerate it but for others like me, it is extremely toxic and it seems that I can't metabolize it. Every time I try, I pay for it in pain and it takes days to recover. Going through that right now actually.