NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Alternatives to Mestinon? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/128700-alternatives-mestinon.html)

findinghope06 07-23-2010 10:40 AM

Alternatives to Mestinon?

I may be leaving my job for a bunch of reasons to work as a nanny again part time and noticed that my Mestinon is rather expensive without health benefits. My stepdad works with Ameriplan to get discounts but even under that it is more than $500 for a 90-day supply. Do you know if there are any generic meds that might do the same or am I stuck paying a ton of money for the only thing that helps me function?

Thanks! :)

findinghope06 07-23-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by findinghope06 (Post 678202)
I may be leaving my job for a bunch of reasons to work as a nanny again part time and noticed that my Mestinon is rather expensive without health benefits. My stepdad works with Ameriplan to get discounts but even under that it is more than $500 for a 90-day supply. Do you know if there are any generic meds that might do the same or am I stuck paying a ton of money for the only thing that helps me function?

Thanks! :)

Also, I do not want to take any immunosuppressants unless I HAVE to and right now I dont.

wondergirl 07-23-2010 11:15 AM

Re: Mestinon,

With a prescription you could order from Canada, they are usually cheaper. Also it's cheaper when you buy more at once, plus that way you are paying for shipping only every 2 or 3 months. One example of a site is northdrugstore.com/buy-Mestinon.html though I have no familiarity with them, they just came up in google.

But it's probably best to have a job that has decent coverage :(

neutro 07-24-2010 06:00 AM

One again, the price of drug is a real scandal: in France the full price (before any insurance refund) is presently 38 cents (US$) per 60 mg Mestinon pill and for Valeant brand...in Belgium, it is slightly more expensive (around 40 cents per pill) and you can buy it in 150 pill bottles.
Maurice.

dog lover 07-24-2010 06:34 AM

Alternative to Mestinon?

There is a generic for Mestinon. That is what I take, it is called Pyridostigmine. I have insurance so not sure what the cost would be without or on another plan but I pay $15.00 for a 30 day supply. You might also check out the website for the maker of Mestinon. Alot of pharmacutical companies offer assistance if you can't afford your medication.
Kendra

suev 07-24-2010 11:09 AM

Check out the generic (Pyridostigmine Bromide) at Sam's Club. I shopped numerous places and they had the best price (about $27 and change / 90 pills). If not a Sam's Club member, check out Walmart (they own Sam's Club).

Alot of folks here have said they think the generic may not be as strong as brand name. I can't comment - have only ever taken the generic.

Sue

DesertFlower 07-24-2010 11:50 AM

I also take the generic and it is about $30 for 60 tablets. I go to Walgreens, which had the lowest price when I started taking it. I don't have insurance and pay the full price.

scrubbs 07-24-2010 12:44 PM

You did not mentoin where you live or what your 90 day supply is. In the U.S. there CVS pharmacy's everywhere. They charge me $54.00 for 150, 60 mg pills in generic form.
Thats my monthly intake. If you take the same, that would be $162.00 for a 90 day supply.
Walmart may be even cheaper.
Hope this helps.
Tony