NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Three Years and Three Months (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/247329-months.html)

SuperElectric 05-29-2017 04:09 PM

Three Years and Three Months

It's been a while since I last wrote here, which is usually a good sign. I thought I'd post up a brief report on how things are now.

My PCS was pretty bad to begin with, nausea, raging tinnitus, insomnia, fatigue - couldn't walk around the block without collapsing in the chair when I got back. A couple of times in the first two weeks my legs stopped working if I walked too far which was pretty weird. Then the anxiety and depression hit and I thought I was going mad. Most of my severe symptoms faded after about six months. The fatigue took longer. After two years I was left with insomnia and tinnitus.

However, over the last few months things have improved another notch and now I feel a whole lot better. My mind is clear and relaxed and I'm getting myself back to the person I once was. It goes to show that you can't put a timescale on recovery and you can still improve years later. I still have some tinnitus, sometimes it's so faint I don't know it's there, but exercise or mental work, like programming, makes it spike for a short while. My sleep is still crummy but I get enough now.

It's been a bewildering period of my life, hard to put into words, it feels like I've lost three years. I think having a sense of humour and stubborn blind faith have got me through it.

Things that I think have helped:
  • Quitting caffeine - helped with anxiety
  • Quitting alcohol - it's neurotoxic and disturbs sleep (but might imbibe again soon)
  • Walking in the countryside - improves circulation without overloading the brain
  • Vitamins - B12, B6, Iron, Magnesium, C and D - Especially B complex
  • Resting as much as possible - mindfulness if you like
  • Rebuilding bike engine - very mind absorbing
  • Gardening - low impact exercise and peaceful
  • Watching comedies and laughing - relieves tension promotes endorphins

Things that don't help:
  • Computers
  • Aerobic exercise - took me a while to work this out
  • Friends - because you look normal they don't understand why you can't go mountain biking like you used to
  • Doctors - as above
  • Stress of any kind

Cartpath 05-31-2017 11:01 PM

Good to hear things have gotten better.

Just curious how long it took you for the depersonalisation to subside?

SuperElectric 06-02-2017 10:01 AM

Good question, I think it grew less as my anxiety subsided. I had long periods where I didn't think I was progressing at all then I'd feel a little better like going up a step. It's like I had to teach myself to be 'normal' again, I found it hard to relax fully until recently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartpath (Post 1243914)
Good to hear things have gotten better.

Just curious how long it took you for the depersonalisation to subside?

todayistomorrow 06-02-2017 04:53 PM

Do you know of anything that specifically helped with your head pressure? That is one of my worse symptoms.

Bud 06-04-2017 06:23 PM

Super E,

Good report, it took me quite awhile to realize I would be ok if I relaxed as you mentioned about yourself.

This has indeed been an unusual journey but doable.

SuperElectric 06-05-2017 03:40 PM

Thanks Bud, glad to hear you're doing well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 1244177)
Super E,

Good report, it took me quite awhile to realize I would be ok if I relaxed as you mentioned about yourself.

This has indeed been an unusual journey but doable.

Regarding head pressure I think like most of my symptoms they gradually faded with time, I can't put my finger on any one thing that helped. I always kept mobile going for walks and tried to maintain good posture which I think is important. I did gentle neck manipulation too. My head was like a shaken snow dome and just needed to settle. Forcing myself to be still and relaxed helped, just clearing the mind and concentrating on breathing.

I'd say I'm 90% back the last 10% seems the most stubborn but I reckon I can do it lol.

mussbsweet 06-20-2017 09:48 PM

This is good news. It's been almost 2 years for me. I still have some symptoms.. like when I learn something new it makes me so tired, being tired in general, having worse anxiety than ever before, also people chewing drives me up a wall. I sometimes getvthe bad tension headache that starts at the base if the neck and skull usually lasts 9 hours for me. Hope to one day get past all this. Also having people who do not understand you have limitations now is really really hard.

Mark in Idaho 06-21-2017 09:34 AM

mussbsweet,

What are you doing to improve your head/neck condition ? With proper care and posture discipline, those head/neck headaches should be improving. It takes time but the improvement should be slowly happening.

mussbsweet 06-23-2017 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1245180)
mussbsweet,

What are you doing to improve your head/neck condition ? With proper care and posture discipline, those head/neck headaches should be improving. It takes time but the improvement should be slowly happening.

I do neck stretches daily, sometimes more than once a day. They only happen when I'm extremely stressed or upset. So not too often I guess. Maybe twice a month. When they do it's not fun.

Mark in Idaho 06-23-2017 10:44 AM

mussbsweat,

How do you sleep ? Do you wake up refreshed ?

What position do you sleep in ? Back, side, front, thick or thin pillow ?