NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Can sfn cause joint pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/161398-sfn-cause-joint-pain.html)

Liftyourhands7 11-29-2011 05:00 PM

Can sfn cause joint pain

My right arm has hurt for the last several days it seems to be in my joint area is sfn a possible cause for this kind of pain I can barley lift anything! I take Gabapentin along with many supplements, could this be the cause of my pain? Any comments appreciated I am new to this sfn stuff. Thanks Jan

mrsD 11-29-2011 05:19 PM

It is really difficult to say.

I have shingles pain occasionally in my right arm... sometimes there is nothing, then I have a few days of pain, then nothing again.

But I never have had "weakness".

I'd report this to your doctor. When motor/weakness comes over sensory issues, the doctor should know.

Susanne C. 11-30-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liftyourhands7 (Post 828520)
My right arm has hurt for the last several days it seems to be in my joint area is sfn a possible cause for this kind of pain I can barley lift anything! I take Gabapentin along with many supplements, could this be the cause of my pain? Any comments appreciated I am new to this sfn stuff. Thanks Jan

I have small and large fiber neuropathy, hereditary, with pinched nerves at elbows and wrists, possibly shoulders as well. What you are describing could certainly be pinched nerves. I have days when I cannot pull the clothes out of the washer or pass a plate at dinner. Definitely ask your doctor. Physical therapy may help you regain strength, or it may just come and go like mine.

teacherfeet 11-30-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanne C. (Post 828672)
I have small and large fiber neuropathy, hereditary, with pinched nerves at elbows and wrists, possibly shoulders as well. What you are describing could certainly be pinched nerves. I have days when I cannot pull the clothes out of the washer or pass a plate at dinner. Definitely ask your doctor. Physical therapy may help you regain strength, or it may just come and go like mine.

How are pinched nerves diagnosed?
Thanks,
Sheila

Susanne C. 11-30-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacherfeet (Post 828830)
How are pinched nerves diagnosed?
Thanks,
Sheila

Nerve conduction study (NCS) done with the EMG. Have you had one? I had one done at Johns Hopkins which took over two hours, and pinched nerves were part of the diagnosis.

hopeful 12-01-2011 12:05 PM

I had an EMG done 3 weeks ago that showed a pinched nerve in my sacral area. They said not significant enough to be causing the pain I have but as Susanne said it may be worth a try for you to request one. It may show something you are not yet aware of.
hopeful