NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Anyone have a brain MRI? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/205290-brain-mri.html)

Sitke 06-05-2014 02:15 PM

Anyone have a brain MRI?

My Dr is sending me for a brain MRI and is asking for the great vessels and circle of Willis to be included, has anyone been through this?

What happens during a brain MRI? I've had other kinds, cervical etc.

Having awful cognitive problems and possible seizures, just want to know why I'm having these "spells", loss of time, I go in to a dream like state for a few minutes, go in to very familiar places but don't recognize them for a minute or two and my arms and fingers feel like electricity and shake.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

SarahSmile0205 06-05-2014 02:34 PM

I have had a brain MRI but not a functional one... The brain they just have you in a harness like the one on a backboard and it takes about 30-45 minutes... nothing different than the ones i have had on my shoulders, back, neck...

Mark in Idaho 06-05-2014 03:32 PM

Your MRI may be a double MRI. They do a standard MRI then do an MRI where they remove the images of blood. When they subtract the second image from the first, they get a image of the vascular structures.

In an MRI of the head, you lay on the bed with a cage over your head. The cage is the image gathering device. I've had three of these. No big deal. I'm claustrophobic so I close my eyes before going into the tunnel. I also hold my elbows close in so they do not touch the side of the tunnel.

Living_Dazed 06-05-2014 04:14 PM

It's so loud. I've had four with IVs and without. I wore ear plugs and ear cover thingies but it didn't help much. The cage goes over your head closely. I closed my eyes. I had anxiety but not as bad as I thought I would.

Good luck to you

"Starr" 06-05-2014 09:01 PM

When I had my MRI, they gave me ear plugs to wear and insist everyone must wear them. I was glad for them because even with the ear plugs in, it was loud enough.

Like Mark, I'm claustrophobic, so I tuck my elbows in and basically try to make myself as thin as possible so I don't touch any part of the tunnel.

I also kept my eyes closed the whole time and just focused on nice deep slow breathing to avoid getting anxious.

I also found it comforting to hold my own hands on my stomach during the whole time. Then if I started getting stressed I could just dig a fingernail into my other hand and that helped distract me. :D

The time goes remarkably quickly though. I was in there about an hour and 15 minutes total, but I could've sworn it was about 20 minutes.

You'll be ok. :hug:

Starr

SarahSmile0205 06-05-2014 09:03 PM

The other thing you may want to ask is if they have a movie player... I brought a DVD and watched that while mine was going on...

LauraM 06-05-2014 09:15 PM

I have had a few too......I agree with all them. It is not difficult, just tight space especially because I am heavy and very loud. I myself have a hard time laying on my back all that time. Mine took about 45 Minutes to an hour all in all, if I remember correctly. If you have had a cervical done on your neck, it will be very similar...lay on your back still and wait. nothing to it.

d0gma 06-06-2014 05:20 PM

There are open MRI machines that have no tube and are more like lying on a table to get an x-ray. You may also ask for some valium or explain that you are claustrophobic. I have back issues and have always been made comfortable (pillow under the legs is critical) if you have back pain. They put my head inside a cage like contraption that was open on all sides. I didn't feel it was confining or claustrophobic.

Every place I've been to get an MRI was very responsible in asking about my comfort, informing me how long each part of the test was, giving me a button to signal that I wanted out, etc. Call and ask about open MRI's if that makes you feel better. I never found it particularly loud or annoying and usually tend to fall asleep if I do relaxation breathing.

Nothing really happens other than some buzzing and knocks, the table may move a few inches. The test is done in stages ranging from a couple of minutes to 20-30 minutes. You can ask the tech to tell you before new tests start so you can stretch or reposition. You can ask to get out or have more blankets etc. They do try very hard to make things easy for you. Many places give you a choice of music and there is voice communication with the tech.

It doesn't hurt so there is nothing to fear. If there is contrast given then you may have an IV but that is a minor pain. All you have to do is be still. Good luck and don't worry. This is not a big deal to go through...you can do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraM (Post 1073918)
I have had a few too......I agree with all them. It is not difficult, just tight space especially because I am heavy and very loud. I myself have a hard time laying on my back all that time. Mine took about 45 Minutes to an hour all in all, if I remember correctly. If you have had a cervical done on your neck, it will be very similar...lay on your back still and wait. nothing to it.

Mark in Idaho 06-06-2014 09:29 PM

Open MRI is usually not strong enough for a good image of brain structures. They are fine for knees, organs and larger body parts.

Sitke 06-06-2014 10:05 PM

Thanks everyone, I'm getting an MRI with contrast and an MRA, not even had time to look that up.

This is to rule anything serious out then we'll go from there as something is not right, wavy feeling in head first so I know it's coming, then total confusion, electricity, shaking, dream like state.

Hope everyone is ok:grouphug: