NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Thanks button (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/15180-thanks-button.html)

paula_w 03-10-2007 02:11 AM

Thanks button

What do you use it for? Or what do you think it is there for? I have to say,I think it is going to cause more discontent than appreciation as here it is used to simply show whether you agree, or more divisively, whether you are against a post or person's view. My prediction - it will divide more than thank anyone to the point of reducing posts. It makes me wish I had a fly swatter.

Paula

paula_w 03-10-2007 03:26 AM

oh too late

Never mind.....a mod messaged and told me they've already been there and done that in forum feedback, including voting on it.

i'll buy a fly swatter instead and do my own virtual swatting. I regret ever using the button and will either try to never use it again or jump in and demonstrate what it looks like when used to discourage an opinion.

paula

vlhperry 03-10-2007 04:52 AM

I agree with the previous poster. Perhaps if more people show how they feel about it, or have been victims of it, were to express their feelings about pro or con, the moderators may consider revisiting their past decision and giving it more thought.

After all, if someone agrees with someone elses post, it is more meaningful if they give their reasons by taking the time to respond with why they agree, than what today's society seems to do too much these days; make it easy so no one has to put thought into their posts to show respect for those they agree with.

Vicky

rd42 03-10-2007 08:43 AM

Thank you thank you button

Quote:

What do you use it for?
I use it to say thanks when nothing more is needed. It is a nice way to support some of the informational posts that elicit few or no responses.

Quote:

What do you think it is there for?
It is to say thanks or show your support for some ones opinion. With everybody repeating each others opinion the essence of a discussion gets lost in some of the more heated threads. If you have something new to say, post it, if you just wanna say thanks, say thanks.

There are many occassions were it's just as effective to say thanks as to put a full fledged response. I like the thanks button. For some one whose typing has gone from 75 wpm to crap it's a nice to be able to easily say thanks.

A no thank you button could be fun :) (Just Kidding)

I am unclear about the people who have been "victims of it", please explain.

Robert

Chemar 03-10-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlhperry (Post 78331)
I agree with the previous poster. Perhaps if more people show how they feel about it, or have been victims of it, were to express their feelings about pro or con, the moderators may consider revisiting their past decision and giving it more thought.

After all, if someone agrees with someone elses post, it is more meaningful if they give their reasons by taking the time to respond with why they agree, than what today's society seems to do too much these days; make it easy so no one has to put thought into their posts to show respect for those they agree with.

Vicky

the moderators did not make a decision on this Vicky
In fact we had NOTHING to do with the addition of a thanks feature and some of us never use it

there was an open vote on forum feedback that ran for a number of weeks with EVERYONE in the community free to vote on it. Doc also had an announcement about it running

here is the thread that had the poll
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=11353

sorry you did not cast your vote and therefore have a chance at influencing the outcome, Vicky
might be a good idea tho to be informed of the facts first before being critical of mods for something they did not do
The COMMUNITY voted this in, not us.

stevem53 03-10-2007 09:08 AM

I say we thank everybody whether we agree with them or not!..:D

reverett123 03-10-2007 09:19 AM

you're welcome

:)
I must admit that I find them irritating, but they are easily ignored.

The mention of a "No thanks" option, while in jest, would have some real appeal but only in the context of a larger forum. What I mean is that if several hundred people were discussing something the option of a "yes/no" vote with a real-time tally might be valuable. Our group is too small for that to do anything but cause trouble, but I would like to know if vbulletin would allow one to do that.

Anyone know?

stevem53 03-10-2007 10:14 AM

BTW..Wheres the "Your Welcome" button?...:confused:

paula_w 03-10-2007 10:14 AM

rd42,

Your reasons, along with most comments here, are the reasons for which the thanks button were intended I'm sure. And I agree with you about them.

Thanks!
Paula

jeanb 03-10-2007 10:17 AM

I like it

If I agree with someone but have nothing to add to their post, I like to use the Thanks button. It shows my support:p