NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Is it 'bad' to use too much epsom salts in bath? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/146554-bad-epsom-salts-bath.html)

Rrae 03-13-2011 09:26 AM

Is it 'bad' to use too much epsom salts in bath?

Hello friends,

I'm sick of all these aches and pains and would like to just soak my WHOLE body in a bath of epsom salts.......
I've searched thru other discussions on this......but can't find how MUCH of this to put in a bath.....and how much water?

Say, if i fill the tub full enuf to soak my whole body......how much salts should I put in?
And how long to soak?

If i use 'too much', will I turn in to a pillar of salt or something? :confused:

I know that it is wise to drink plenty of water when doing this....

I'm still reading up yonder in the "Tip & Supplements" section....but just wanted to see if anyone wants to share any suggestions or experiences....

Rae
:hug:

mrsD 03-13-2011 09:44 AM

I don't use more than 8 oz in a bathtub sized water situation. Sometimes even a bit less. (You can make small tubs that you use for making compresses more concentrated... since you won't be soaking in it).

Too much and it will pull water OUT of you. Also do not use HOT water... keep it lukewarm.

Too much would be like soaking in salt... that will burn and make tiny skin cracks hurt like crazy.

Rrae 03-13-2011 12:10 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......i just took an epsom salt bath per your suggestion MrsD........ i feel stoned :smirk:

.................wonder how long til this wears off

mrsD 03-13-2011 12:18 PM

Stoned? or just relaxed?

The magnesium IS very relaxing, and would have a bigger impact if you are very deficient.

Seems you had a pleasant experience?;)

Be careful getting out of the tub, as epsom salts can make it slippery.

Jomar 03-13-2011 01:25 PM

Ooops , I always use hot water..:o

We have a older tub - (steel/porcelain?? - not plastic or fiberglass,)so it sucks some of the heat out of the water til the metal gets warmed up.

I did read somewhere it is best to rinse off after soaking, but not sure if that was more for bath salt mixes instead of plain Epsom salts.

I have a sea salt/Epsom salt mix, sometimes I rinse off & sometimes I don't.

Rrae 03-13-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 752661)
Stoned? or just relaxed?

The magnesium IS very relaxing, and would have a bigger impact if you are very deficient.

Seems you had a pleasant experience?;)

Be careful getting out of the tub, as epsom salts can make it slippery.

Very relaxed would be the 'politically correct' description I reckon :cool:

Actually I haven't soaked in a tub for over a YEAR :eek:
....since I've had a surgery, I've been taking showers and I forgot how relaxing it actually is to just sit there and soak.......

And yep, I did rinse off.......

aussiemom 03-13-2011 10:01 PM

Hmmmmm, I've always wanted a Biofreeze bath. LOL Maybe I'll try this!?!

malawigirl08 03-16-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiemom (Post 752777)
Hmmmmm, I've always wanted a Biofreeze bath. LOL Maybe I'll try this!?!

I too can recommend this, thanks Mrs D for this tip and the Alkaseltzer tip- I am frightened to say they are both combating the pain in case it gets so bad again. :)

dahlek 03-16-2011 10:33 PM

It IS at times like this? I wish.......

I could fit a forklift into my bathroom! Sigh!
Sounds soo delicious! - j

daniella 03-19-2011 08:41 AM

I am like the only 1 who does not like epsom salt baths. Regular baths I like but not epsom. Anyhow I was told by a doc 30 minutes to soak but who knows. Do you take magnesium supplements? I wonder since you find epsom salt baths to sooth if you get results from the supplement. Of course make sure you are ok to take it.