NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Rushing sound in ears? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/189905-rushing-sound-ears.html)

Juniebear 06-12-2013 01:22 PM

Rushing sound in ears?

For the last 2 days I've had this rushing sound in my ears. Sort of like they are partially plugged, noises dampened. It comes in waves and is usually accompanied by extreme dizziness and weird visual disturbances. WTH is this now? I don't see the new neurologist until the end of July but the way things are progressing I'm not sure about waiting so long. :confused:

SallyC 06-12-2013 01:54 PM

Sounds like high blood pressure to me. Go to Doc, get checked out.:hug:

Juniebear 06-12-2013 02:44 PM

I thought of that too, but that'd be really abnormal for me. My BP is usually below normal. I have a call in though and will see what my PCP says. Lately he's just referred me to the neurologist for everything so guess I'll see. Not sure what to think of all this anymore. Just want to be 'normal' again.

Kitty 06-12-2013 02:54 PM

I have a constant ringing/rushing sound in my ears. Sometimes it's louder than others. Sometimes I notice that it's barely audible. But it's always there to some degree. My Neuro said that it's from nerve damage. I have significant hearing loss in my left ear and he said that's nerve damage, too.

It's always something with MS. :rolleyes:

Blessings2You 06-12-2013 04:14 PM

I'm a broken record: don't assume everything is MS-related. Could be MS, could be an inner ear thing, could be something else. I'd call my PCP or neurologist and find out if you should have it checked.

karilann 06-12-2013 06:53 PM

Are you on an antidepressant? If you don't take them on a regular time schedule, you can get "head zaps' or that rushing/muffling noise in the ears. I used to lose my balance when I got it and it seemed like I blacked out for a split second.

Juniebear 06-13-2013 11:08 AM

No, not on any antidepressants. Started gabapentin 100 mg at night yesterday. Been avoiding it cause I was worried about it causing more fatigue but my pain level keeps increasing so decided sleepy is better than in pain all the time.

KittyLady 06-13-2013 10:03 PM

I get that same sound and feeling from my muscle relaxers. I take baclofen and tizanadine. When I have a horrible bout of pain and have been on them more often, I get that sound and feeling in the ears. When I back off the meds, it goes away.

Debbie D 06-18-2013 11:47 AM

i get that occasionally, usually when I arise from sitting and begin walking. I get pressure in my head, then my hearing dims for a bit. Then I hear the whooshing sound.
I was told it is a positional migraine. The whooshing sound is the blood flow in the head.
You might want to see a doc about it...

Iwisuhappiness 06-22-2013 08:28 PM

Check out Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome.

I was finally diagnosed after 13 years and had surgery June 14, 2013 at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.. Amazing recoup now, soo happy!!