NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   What has helped my burning feet...... (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/146092-helped-burning-feet.html)

Rosie33 03-05-2011 06:50 PM

What has helped my burning feet......

I'm confused about how to go about posting a message. I think I posted this same message on another thread but I don't see it anywhere so I decided to post it again on here. I apologize if it's double posted....Rosie

I want to tell my story hoping it may help some of you who are suffering with this dreaded disease. Around 2005, I had pain in the big toe on my left foot. I self diagnosed it as probably a toenail fungus. I kept putting tea tree oil on it but it got worse over time, and then my right foot had the same symptoms. One day in the summer my feet turned bright red, and I had an unbearable burning pain. I called my doctor and she said it could be an allergic reaction to the rubber flip-flops that I was wearing. I got rid of those sandals but it didn't help.

And then, thanks to the internet and our wonderful world of "High-Tech", I decided to do my own research on Google. When I put in all my symptoms, I came up with "Peripheral Neuropathy". I printed out about 50 pages of info, and brought it all to my doctor. She skimmed through it, and said, "Mmm, interesting". She then scheduled me for all kinds of tests over the next 5 years (MRI, EMG, CatScan, all kinds of blood tests, physical therapy, anodyne treatments, and a lot more that I can't remember. During that time I saw 3 different Neurologists, a Hemotologist, and even a Podiatrist. As it turned out, I don't have Diabetes (for which I am thankful) so my neuropathy was labeled "Idiopathic". One Neurologist told me it was probably "Small Fiber Neuropathy". He put me on Amitriptyline which I discontinued after about a month because I didn't like the side effects, and I didn't think it was helping.

There were 3 important things that made me realize the doctors knew nothing about PIN. First of all, the Hemotologist said it was labeled "Idiopathic" because the idiot doctors didn't know what was causing it. Secondly, not one doctor discussed supplements or nutrition. Thirdly, and MOST OF All, the idiotic Podiatrist after taking x-rays talked me into having surgery to remove the toenails from my big toes, saying it could be ingrown toenails. He even gave me a date for the surgery. When I got home, I had a discussion with myself, and talked myself right out of that scam. I called him and told him I did NOT have ingrown toenails. He said to let him know if I changed my mind. He was the biggest idiot of all. At least all the other doctors said they couldn't help me.

I have researched and found many support groups for PIN. I've changed my diet, added and even discontinued different vitamins and supplements that other people recommended. I decided I was going to learn to live with it, and not go on any prescribed medication for as long as I could bear the burning and pain in my feet. Last month I went for a follow up with my doctor, and she suggested I have one more test which was a "Cardio-Vascular" test for oxygen and blood flow to my legs, due to the fact that I was a smoker for years (now smoke free for the past 10 years).

The test proved that I had no problems with circulation but my doctor suggested I take a whole aspirin (500mg) every day, I was already taking the 81mg. She said to take the 500mg instead because it couldn't hurt, and it just might help because it is an anti-inflammatory. At the same time that I started the 500mg of aspirin I added a multivitamin which I had discontinued because it had B6 which I believed too much of could aggravate neuropathy. I do have a special regime of vitamins and supplements which I will post if anyone is interested.

Now the following is the reason why I'm telling you all this: "FOR THE PAST 2 WEEKS SINCE STARTING THE 500mg OF ASPIRIN, THE BURNING IS ABSOLUTELY GONE". I can't believe it, I can wear my sneakers and sox all day, and there's no burning. I haven't even had to use the mint lotion at all, which I used especially at night for the burning pain. I still once in awhile get a few stabs of pain in my big toes, and I know I will always have neuropathy, but if it stays the way it is right now, I will be so happy, my fingers & toes are crossed.

I feel a great need to put this info out there but we each have different kinds and symptoms of PIN. I strongly recommend anyone taking pure aspirin to make sure it's enteric coated and taken with food, and be aware of side effects with stomach problems. There is so much more I do as far as supplements, nutrition, and exercise that all comes together in keeping my neuropathy at a bearable level. I would be happy to share with anyone who is interested. For now I able to go on with my life without the miserable burning. Every once in a while throughout the day, I look at my feet and say out loud, "I can't believe it, thank you God!"

antonina 03-05-2011 10:20 PM

Hi Rosie33,

I 'd be very interested in learning what you take/do for your PN. Please post when you get a chance. Thank you.

invisable 03-05-2011 11:11 PM

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie33 (Post 750416)
I'm confused about how to go about posting a message. I think I posted this same message on another thread but I don't see it anywhere so I decided to post it again on here. I apologize if it's double posted....Rosie

I want to tell my story hoping it may help some of you who are suffering with this dreaded disease. Around 2005, I had pain in the big toe on my left foot. I self diagnosed it as probably a toenail fungus. I kept putting tea tree oil on it but it got worse over time, and then my right foot had the same symptoms. One day in the summer my feet turned bright red, and I had an unbearable burning pain. I called my doctor and she said it could be an allergic reaction to the rubber flip-flops that I was wearing. I got rid of those sandals but it didn't help.

And then, thanks to the internet and our wonderful world of "High-Tech", I decided to do my own research on Google. When I put in all my symptoms, I came up with "Peripheral Neuropathy". I printed out about 50 pages of info, and brought it all to my doctor. She skimmed through it, and said, "Mmm, interesting". She then scheduled me for all kinds of tests over the next 5 years (MRI, EMG, CatScan, all kinds of blood tests, physical therapy, anodyne treatments, and a lot more that I can't remember. During that time I saw 3 different Neurologists, a Hemotologist, and even a Podiatrist. As it turned out, I don't have Diabetes (for which I am thankful) so my neuropathy was labeled "Idiopathic". One Neurologist told me it was probably "Small Fiber Neuropathy". He put me on Amitriptyline which I discontinued after about a month because I didn't like the side effects, and I didn't think it was helping.

There were 3 important things that made me realize the doctors knew nothing about PIN. First of all, the Hemotologist said it was labeled "Idiopathic" because the idiot doctors didn't know what was causing it. Secondly, not one doctor discussed supplements or nutrition. Thirdly, and MOST OF All, the idiotic Podiatrist after taking x-rays talked me into having surgery to remove the toenails from my big toes, saying it could be ingrown toenails. He even gave me a date for the surgery. When I got home, I had a discussion with myself, and talked myself right out of that scam. I called him and told him I did NOT have ingrown toenails. He said to let him know if I changed my mind. He was the biggest idiot of all. At least all the other doctors said they couldn't help me.

I have researched and found many support groups for PIN. I've changed my diet, added and even discontinued different vitamins and supplements that other people recommended. I decided I was going to learn to live with it, and not go on any prescribed medication for as long as I could bear the burning and pain in my feet. Last month I went for a follow up with my doctor, and she suggested I have one more test which was a "Cardio-Vascular" test for oxygen and blood flow to my legs, due to the fact that I was a smoker for years (now smoke free for the past 10 years).

The test proved that I had no problems with circulation but my doctor suggested I take a whole aspirin (500mg) every day, I was already taking the 81mg. She said to take the 500mg instead because it couldn't hurt, and it just might help because it is an anti-inflammatory. At the same time that I started the 500mg of aspirin I added a multivitamin which I had discontinued because it had B6 which I believed too much of could aggravate neuropathy. I do have a special regime of vitamins and supplements which I will post if anyone is interested.

Now the following is the reason why I'm telling you all this: "FOR THE PAST 2 WEEKS SINCE STARTING THE 500mg OF ASPIRIN, THE BURNING IS ABSOLUTELY GONE". I can't believe it, I can wear my sneakers and sox all day, and there's no burning. I haven't even had to use the mint lotion at all, which I used especially at night for the burning pain. I still once in awhile get a few stabs of pain in my big toes, and I know I will always have neuropathy, but if it stays the way it is right now, I will be so happy, my fingers & toes are crossed.

I feel a great need to put this info out there but we each have different kinds and symptoms of PIN. I strongly recommend anyone taking pure aspirin to make sure it's enteric coated and taken with food, and be aware of side effects with stomach problems. There is so much more I do as far as supplements, nutrition, and exercise that all comes together in keeping my neuropathy at a bearable level. I would be happy to share with anyone who is interested. For now I able to go on with my life without the miserable burning. Every once in a while throughout the day, I look at my feet and say out loud, "I can't believe it, thank you God!"

but would like to share me recent experience with 2 low dose enteric coated aspirin a day (162mg.)....I developed a "pre" ulcer, Dr. called it an erosion (he found it during an endoscopy.) Told me to cut down to 1 per day (81mg). I am taking aspirin to prevent heart attack/stroke as it is in my family.

I can't help but wonder if the reason this is working is the fact that is killing the pain. 500 mg. of aspirin a day is a very high dose for daily use.

Just my thoughts.........not trying to burst your bubble, but be careful....

mrsD 03-06-2011 03:39 AM

Aspirin does work. I've used AlkaSeltzer orig. formula for years for my burning attacks.

The AlkaSeltzer aspirin is absorbed very quickly... we learned about its bioavailability in our biopharmaceutics class, so it has very low potential for local bleeding.

The bicarb seems to also block receptors to histamine, for several hours. So the combo AlkaSetzer is useful at times.

Aspirin also blocks the flushing that Niacin causes. So if the PN is mediated by inflammatory cytokines, this is probably how it is acting...blocking those. I think the aspirin is very useful for food intolerance type reactions too.

People on blood thinners like Coumadin etc, cannot use aspirin however. Enteric coated aspirin may protect the stomach, but the potential for an intestinal bleed still exists. That is why I prefer aspirin in solution....as AlkaSeltzer provides. I get mine generically at WalMart... it is unbelieveably inexpensive!

Rosie33 03-06-2011 10:40 AM

Relief for my burning feet....

Good Morning Friends,

ANTONINA: I will gather all the info on what I am taking in the way of vitamins and supplements, and post here soon.

INVISABLE: Thanks for your concern about taking aspirin. I am fully aware of the side effects as far as stomach problems. I did some research on the Bayer website, and found the following info on "Extra Strengh Bayer Plus". I feel content to go with this dosage for now because of the great relief I have without the burning pain.

----------------------------------------------------------------
INFO FROM BAYER WEBSITE:
While some people have shied away from aspirin because they fear it will upset their stomach, most people have no trouble taking aspirin. In fact, less than six percent of the population cannot take aspirin because of stomach upset.

If you are one of the few people who experience stomach upset from aspirin, try Extra Strength Bayer Plus. Extra Strength Bayer Plus combines a strong dose (500 mg) of aspirin with a buffering ingredient - calcium carbonate - to make it gentler on the stomach. Calcium carbonate works by helping to neutralize stomach acid.

This buffered aspirin product is available in caplet form and is caffeine-free and sodium-free.

The Toleraid® film coating on Extra Strength Bayer Aspirin Plus benefits aspirin users who have difficulty swallowing uncoated caplets. The next time headache, pain and fever of colds, muscle aches and pains, menstrual pain, toothache pain, or the minor aches and pains of arthritis slow you down, try a buffered aspirin that is gentler on your stomach-- Extra Strength Bayer Plus.

Active Ingredient |Uses |Warnings |Directions |Inactive Ingredients |Questions or comments
Active ingredient (in each caplet)
Aspirin 500 mg (NSAID)* Pain reliever/fever reducer
*nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug
--------------------------------------------------------------------

MRS. D: Do you think maybe the added buffering ingredient - calcium carbonate - might have the same effect as the bicarb in Alka Seltzer. I think it's as they say, "Six of one, and half dozen of the other". I feel too much Alka Seltzer can't be too good either. I really can't believe how wonderful my feet feel. The bed covers don't even bother them like before the aspirin. I think I'll just go on as I am and wish for the best. I'll keep in touch to let you know what's happening.

Wishing everyone a happy weekend.

antonina 03-07-2011 12:34 AM

I wound up w/ a bleeding duodenal ulcer because of

dosing myself with aspirin for menstrual pain when I was about 20 yrs old. I had to have 3 blood transfusions because of major blood loss. So for the past 50 or so years I have avoided it. But I would like to try Alka Seltzer since the benefits appear to outweigh the risks associated w/ pills, especially its fast absorption rate.

Mrs. D: do you think this would be a rational move?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 750493)
Aspirin does work. I've used AlkaSeltzer orig. formula for years for my burning attacks.

The AlkaSeltzer aspirin is absorbed very quickly... we learned about its bioavailability in our biopharmaceutics class, so it has very low potential for local bleeding.

The bicarb seems to also block receptors to histamine, for several hours. So the combo AlkaSetzer is useful at times.

Aspirin also blocks the flushing that Niacin causes. So if the PN is mediated by inflammatory cytokines, this is probably how it is acting...blocking those. I think the aspirin is very useful for food intolerance type reactions too.

People on blood thinners like Coumadin etc, cannot use aspirin however. Enteric coated aspirin may protect the stomach, but the potential for an intestinal bleed still exists. That is why I prefer aspirin in solution....as AlkaSeltzer provides. I get mine generically at WalMart... it is unbelieveably inexpensive!

mrsD 03-07-2011 03:18 AM

The bioavailability of AlkaSeltzer with aspirin... (there are many other types now for other uses) is unique.

We studied it years ago... on volunteers the blood levels of aspirin were almost equivalent to an IV administration in onset.

Adding a buffering agent is not new. There used to be a product called Bufferin on the market. I don't know if they still make it.

I don't take it every day... or all day long. Just once a day for 2 or 3 days when I have a flare of burning. The blast of bicarb is also useful for gout, and food allergies. Environmental allergists use TriSalts (the bicarb portion) which does not have aspirin added to abort allergic responses from the environment.
http://www.drhoffman.com/page.cfm/537
notice the magnesium content...similar to Ionic Fizz in fact.

I personally am guarded about aspirin everyday.

The mechanism that aspirin and NSAIDs use that promotes bleeding is not only local. It is metabolic throughout the whole body affecting cytokine production everywhere as an anti-inflammatory. This whole body effect also reduces platelets, and that is how aspirin can prevent blood clots. In people with damaged intestines, bleeding will result, because of this platelet action. So the buffering is only good as a temp measure.

I think the bicarb blast temporarily neutralizes the acids in the blood which are mediators of pain. There have been some studies recently on "acid" being the culprit of pain generation.
I'll see if I can find those. One was on a chronic pain journal site about 3 yrs ago, if some of you want to look for it too. There is also evidence that people with mild renal tubular acidosis, do better when using some bicarb daily, than those that don't. High doses are not necessary.

I've had elevated uric acid for many years with only 2 gout attacks. I've seen several sites for gout recommending the bicarb solution too. So while AlkaSeltzer is a common remedy targeting "hangovers" it really is a complex drug delivery product! Don't abuse it, therefore, but don't ignore it either, as it may be helpful when used wisely.

Rosie33 03-07-2011 06:16 AM

I am convinced about the evils of aspirin!

I am going to stop taking aspirin every day even though I attribute it to eliminating the burning pain. Just reading what everyone has said about it is enough to scare me. I don't want stomach or bleeding problems. My pharmacist recommended Zyflamend instead. I'll have to look that up.

I've decided to take it a day at a time to see if the burning comes back without the aspirin If it does I'll try the AlkaSeltzer with aspirin. Thanks Mrs. D for your great info, and everyone else who replied to my post. :grouphug:

Dr. Smith 03-07-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 750733)
The mechanism that aspirin and NSAIDs use that promotes bleeding is not only local. It is metabolic throughout the whole body affecting cytokine production everywhere as an anti-inflammatory. This whole body effect also reduces platelets, and that is how aspirin can prevent blood clots. In people with damaged intestines, bleeding will result, because of this platelet action. So the buffering is only good as a temp measure.

That's what happens to/with me. Long gross story short, taking aspirin (buffered or otherwise) or any NSAID other than meloxicam more than once a week will cause intestinal bleeding.

We once had a border collie who was prescribed aspirin for a couple days for arthritis (too stiff to get up) and it gave her intractable nosebleeds, because it impeded clotting.

It's still a miracle drug of sorts; they're still finding out new information about it and its benefits, but every silver lining has a cloud....

Doc

Doc

mrsD 03-07-2011 07:46 AM

I would wonder if your GI tract has a reason for being so sensitive? Like the lining is poor to begin with?
Food intolerances will do that. As will poor PGE1 status (dependent on good Omega-3 intake, including flax oil).
People with mildly inflamed intestines are typically gluten intolerant. Or have Crohn's disease.

Also meloxicam (Mobic) is not a Cox-2 specific drug. It is also an NSAID with the potential for bleeds. This is often confused by the medical people. NSAIDs that decrease PGE1 and PGE2 are the ones most likely to cause bleeding. PGE1s are restorative to the mucus linings of the lungs and digestive tract. When very low, the linings cannot be maintained properly and hence all sorts of mischief results.

There are only 3 Cox-2 specific NSAIDs, and two have been recalled... Vioxx and Bextra. The only one available now is Celebrex and it is the weakest of the 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 750755)
That's what happens to/with me. Long gross story short, taking aspirin (buffered or otherwise) or any NSAID other than meloxicam more than once a week will cause intestinal bleeding.

We once had a border collie who was prescribed aspirin for a couple days for arthritis (too stiff to get up) and it gave her intractable nosebleeds, because it impeded clotting.

It's still a miracle drug of sorts; they're still finding out new information about it and its benefits, but every silver lining has a cloud....

Doc

Doc