NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   I dont understand tapering off medication. (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/187818-dont-understand-tapering-medication.html)

anon22217 05-01-2013 03:15 PM

I dont understand tapering off medication.

Hi everyone,

I dont understand the theory behind taking medication and then once you feel better you begin to taper off the medication? But once, you're off the medication won't your symptoms come back or has your brain healed? Thank you!

Mokey 05-01-2013 03:22 PM

I think it depends on the medication and why you are taking it. Some people stay on medication for life, others for short periods of time.
When I stopped taking amantadine, I definitely felt much worse than when I was taking it. So after a month break, started up again, despite it giving me bad sleeps.

anon22217 05-01-2013 03:36 PM

Dear Mokey,

Thanks for your response. ARe you taking Amantadine for headaches? Also I saw that you're taking reversotal? Do you think this will help with headaches?Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokey (Post 979831)
I think it depends on the medication and why you are taking it. Some people stay on medication for life, others for short periods of time.
When I stopped taking amantadine, I definitely felt much worse than when I was taking it. So after a month break, started up again, despite it giving me bad sleeps.

Mark in Idaho 05-01-2013 05:49 PM

Resveratrol is a general health supplement. It has no specific value to PCS.

Often, meds are prescribed to reduce symptoms like anxiety and depression so the patient can focus on healing, etc. This is especially true when the neuro or PCP does not have a strong understanding of concussions.

anon22217 05-01-2013 06:00 PM

Do you think I should try prescription meds or just try to wait it out then?

More specifialy nortryptalin.

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 979880)
Resveratrol is a general health supplement. It has no specific value to PCS.

Often, meds are prescribed to reduce symptoms like anxiety and depression so the patient can focus on healing, etc. This is especially true when the neuro or PCP does not have a strong understanding of concussions.

Mokey 05-01-2013 06:42 PM

Hi Blue Hiroko,

Resveratrol acts as an anti-inflamatory and there is research that suggests that it can help counteract neuroinflamation which occurs after a brain injury. It is like having a lot of red wine in one capsule. It is also good for the heart (bonus). It can help the neuronic cell dysfunction which occurs after brain injury and it also an anti-oxidant.

Anti-oxidants arevery important to brain health. You can get it in omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil) and vitamin C (among other things).

Amantadine was recommended to me to break through the fog of brain injury, not specifically for headaches. It is thought to do at least two things that are helpful to injured brains: increase dopamine, which is a neurotransmitter (what makes a connection between neurons happen) and it is thought to promote healing.

I find it makes a huge difference in my energy level and my ability to withstand noisy environments. These are still tough, seem easier to take when I am on amantadine.

Hope things improve for you!

Anti-

mouse1 05-04-2013 11:20 AM

I am in the middle of coming off Cymbalta because:
a) I am recovering from PCS
b) my mood is stable
c) my pain has gone
d) the drug has side effects

Everyone has different, but I have stopped the medication because I only needed it on a temporary basis.

Mark in Idaho 05-04-2013 12:59 PM

Mokey,

Where did you find the information about Resveratrol and the brain ?

All I have found is it is suspected of increasing oxygen levels and possibly strengthening mitochondria function.

anon22217 05-04-2013 01:13 PM

Dear mouse,

Thank you for your reply. I'm just curious how long do you need to be symptom free before coming off it? Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse1 (Post 980636)
I am in the middle of coming off Cymbalta because:
a) I am recovering from PCS
b) my mood is stable
c) my pain has gone
d) the drug has side effects

Everyone has different, but I have stopped the medication because I only needed it on a temporary basis.

mouse1 05-04-2013 03:39 PM

I don't know, I suppose it depends on the person.

I have been symptom free for about 3 weeks, as long as I rest and avoid exercise. So the pain and symptom reducing qualities of Cymbalta were no longer needed.

I do not have a history of depression, but my mood was low with PCS, so I am confident I can come off it and go back to normal.

The main reason we agreed that I come off it was because it was upsetting my stomach.