NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Anyone with Depersonalization Disorder ? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/183895-depersonalization-disorder.html)

Savas 02-12-2013 05:36 PM

Anyone with Depersonalization Disorder ?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with DPD and how are you coping or coped with it?

Thank you

Peter11 02-12-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savas (Post 956659)
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with DPD and how are you coping or coped with it?

Thank you

Hi. I wouldnt go as far as saying I have DPD, but I certianly go through bouts were I feel depersonalised. I found that this would occur when my anxiety would crop up, or I having a panic attack, or in severe pain. I learnt to control my anxiety by trying to 'get out of my own head' and this helped alot with the depresonalisation.

My best to you :)!!

Concussion 02-12-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter11 (Post 956681)
Hi. I wouldnt go as far as saying I have DPD, but I certianly go through bouts were I feel depersonalised. I found that this would occur when my anxiety would crop up, or I having a panic attack, or in severe pain. I learnt to control my anxiety by trying to 'get out of my own head' and this helped alot with the depresonalisation.

My best to you :)!!

I would have to agree. I wouldn't classify what I experience as a DPD, per se.

However, when I did recognize that I was experiencing what I reported to my Neurologist as "not being on the same page with myself " at times; I did investigate DPD; and this link gave me some insight:

Depersonalization Disorder - WebMD

Savas 02-12-2013 10:02 PM

What would you say if I told you that this is a state I have been living in forever and just started to figure things out?

It is a state of mind I have been aware of, just could not name what it was. I have seen a Dr. regarding that but Dr. had no idea what I was talking about.( i guess) .
I believe that has happaned after a concussion I found out I had very long time ago.
From what I found out was most of the people who had it was a short exerience compared to mine. I have been in it as long as I know.

Thank you for your inputs.

peacheysncream 02-13-2013 05:11 PM

Dear Savas,
Are you getting help for this now?
It normally is temporary because it is the brain breaking down and using a safety mechanism to care for it's wounds. Once recognised however there are many treatments to help come out of this state.

You have my sympathy though, it is a horrid place to live in that mind state.

Do you know why this has happened to you, apart from the concussion there is normally a stronger reason for this disorder. If you know what it is you can find the right help.

Brain patch 02-13-2013 05:29 PM

Depersonalization

Hi,
I have this bad. I have dealt with it by learning advanced meditation and breathing exercises. I feel like my spirit is detached from my body or as if I am living at the side of myself. Does this happen to you? So sorry. Lots of love to you:hug:

Brain patch

Mark in Idaho 02-13-2013 06:17 PM

I experience this but it is only momentary. I can think my way out of it. I start by identifying the simplest things around me that I know are real. This is the start of creating a context of myself and environment. Touching something or moving is usually enough.

I also have to orient my memory. By this I mean I accept that my memory is unreliable. Again, I start by establishing a simple context. Do I know what day it is ? Do I know where I am ? Once I get a few of these contexts established, the rest falls into place quickly.

It is important that I do not get stressed out by this sense of ??????? Anxiety only makes it more of a problem.

The big problem in my view is that we normally live with an automatic context of who, what and where so we get lazy with our attention. As brain injured, we need to purpose our thoughts more. This is no different that the Stop to Think exercise. If we just stop to think, we can usually reconnect to our reality.

I struggle with this most when I wake up from a very real dream. I need to put serious contextual effort into determining where the dream ended and real life starts.

Learning to live life on purpose rather than on autopilot takes a bit of effort but it becomes a habit.

Hope this helps.

Concussion 02-14-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 956972)

The big problem in my view is that we normally live with an automatic context of who, what and where so we get lazy with our attention. As brain injured, we need to purpose our thoughts more. This is no different that the Stop to Think exercise. If we just stop to think, we can usually reconnect to our reality.

Learning to live life on purpose rather than on autopilot takes a bit of effort but it becomes a habit.

Hope this helps.

This is the most important part of pretty much all of our lives now.

We are no longer really able to trust our auto-pilots.

We do have to always be attentive to purpose.

Consider 02-14-2013 11:40 AM

I would have to agree. This is something I haven't been able to take a hold of, sometimes I feel a sense of unreality. It sucks, but we just have to keep calm and carry on. It does scare me a lot, though.

Savas 02-16-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concussion (Post 957145)
This is the most important part of pretty much all of our lives now.

We are no longer really able to trust our auto-pilots.

We do have to always be attentive to purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacheysncream (Post 956953)
Dear Savas,
Are you getting help for this now?
It normally is temporary because it is the brain breaking down and using a safety mechanism to care for it's wounds. Once recognised however there are many treatments to help come out of this state.

You have my sympathy though, it is a horrid place to live in that mind state.

Do you know why this has happened to you, apart from the concussion there is normally a stronger reason for this disorder. If you know what it is you can find the right help.

As i mentioned before, the concussion i had was severe I believe. i dont remember it happen but I also dont remeber many things. if i dont focus on things they disappear from memory quickly.
It is only most recently I have started to get the Fell Of Reality. But 98% still in a dream, with auto pilot engaged.
But working on it