NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Having trouble swallowing still (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/169327-trouble-swallowing.html)

new2net98 05-06-2012 10:22 PM

Having trouble swallowing still

Doctor recommended liquid thickener. The only stuff on the internet is cost prohibitive. I was wondering if plain old Knox plain geletin powder (spelling?) would also do the same thing?

ThickIt just doesn't sound appealing. We had some Guar Gum in the house from doing Adkin's Diet a few years ago. A little worked...but it's got a floury taste in things like tea. Can't even think to use it in coffee; it would be sacriligious.

I have had to give up popcorn, granola bars, rice crispies & G*d only knows how much...do I have to give up everything?

So sorry for the Whine...lol...it crreeps into everything!

KittyLady 05-06-2012 10:54 PM

Well, Ive had thickit before. Plus' for it are no taste and it can come in powder or liquid. I prefer the liquid, no chance of not dissolving all the powder.

SallyC 05-07-2012 09:58 AM

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use instant jello powder. Maybe corn starch for soups/ hot foods?:hug:

Debbie D 05-07-2012 03:30 PM

Did the docs give you any swallowing therapy? When I had swallowing test, I performed well (of course-I never seem to have sxs when I'm at a doc's or having a test:rolleyes:).
But they did tell me to bend my head down when swallowing...also to use warm water when taking pills, since cold water increases choking in some.

Hope you find something to help you:grouphug:

new2net98 05-09-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie D (Post 877142)
Did the docs give you any swallowing therapy? When I had swallowing test, I performed well (of course-I never seem to have sxs when I'm at a doc's or having a test:rolleyes:).
But they did tell me to bend my head down when swallowing...also to use warm water when taking pills, since cold water increases choking in some.

Hope you find something to help you:grouphug:

Thanks again!! :)

Since have to go for yet another MRI this month; I've decided against the swallow test...can't afford it until or when our Refi is completed. Med bills are sky high now; even with insurance.

I have been researching & getting valuable tips from all of you...started taking pills with applesauce. Got some cute little individual pouches of the stuff...G*d bless kiddie-cutesy lunch snack paks...that make it super easy. Drinks are easier to drink during the day...and murder to choke at night. Mild allergies make it worse. Been experimenting with lots of stuff found on the internet; like the warm water trick (makes me nauceous) and the head tipping (I lose my balance on the way up). Doesn't happen often enough yet; but I am an intrepid soul...must have answers before...LOL

Oiy...

NurseNancy 05-10-2012 11:03 AM

i had a swallowing test too. the therapist gave me some exercises, most of which i don't remember.

but, i've found that i need to have a liquid at the table when i eat for when food gets "stuck". i also found that if i tilt my head a bit forward i swallow better. when my head goes back i can choke.

i wonder if talking to a registered dietician might help to give you some food tips. i'd be interested to know what you find out.

tkrik 05-10-2012 01:19 PM

I have a hard time swallowing too. In fact, I just had a EGD where one of the things the dr found was esophageal motility disorder. I don't know the cause of it (MS vs. the other things he found, I'll find out at the end of the month at my follow up visit). What I am finding that works for me is smoothies and lots of soft foods. My mom gave me a great recipe for a good healthy smoothie and I've been having lots of those. I mix different things in the basic recipe so I get some variety. PM me if you want the basic recipe. I do have to water it down a bit as it can bee too thick and then I have trouble swallowing it. Too thin and it just sits in my throat.

I think the gelatin would be fine, plus it has some protein in it as well, which I don't know of ThickIt has in it. I've been eating a lot of Jello too.