NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Spasms anyone? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/119387-spasms.html)

pud's friend 04-15-2010 04:58 AM

Spasms anyone?

Scooting back a step from the spasticity med threads already here, can I ask,

how did your first spasms feel,
how did you know what it was,
how do you tell if meds will help
and how do the meds help?

FinLady 04-15-2010 07:43 AM

My spasms are very interesting. You can actually see the muscles jump up and down. The fun one is my abdomen. It looks like a scene taken from the movie "Alien". :D It feels weird, like I stopped moving but someone forgot to tell my muscle that. It's also a little like the feeling one has touching the skin of a kettle drum while someone is keeping a fast beat while they are striking it. (hope that makes some sense).

They are different than jerks or tremors, which I also get from time to time. I tried Baclofen, couldn't handle it very well. Then my neuro had me try magnesium, helped a little. I mainly get the spasms when it's humid out or a major storm front is coming through.

AfterMyNap 04-15-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pud's friend (Post 644551)
Spasms anyone?

No thank you, I already have plenty of them.

Debbie D 04-15-2010 08:46 AM

My first major spasms were in my legs, which got me dxd...my legs pulled up into a bent position and I couldn't straighten them. It was very, very painful.

I have fasciculations in my legs constantly; looks like my pregnant belly did when the kids were almost to term:p
I get spasticity in my shins and calves, sometimes in my hamstrings, and in my back. My legs feel as if the muscles are being ripped from the bone.
I'm on zanaflex; my former neuro had me on baclofen, but it really didn't reduce the spasticity for me.

Catch 04-15-2010 03:22 PM

My spasms are mild. I've get them in my ankles, feet, fingers, hands, wrists, calves and back. I can visualize what it feels like, but describing is hard. Most of my spasms are short and intense, it is like a tiny explosion. Like someone poked me with a large gauge needle and the muscle said "Hah!"

The spasms in my back are the worst. Those are full-on muscled spasms of the large muscles in my back.

I also get mild charley horses in my calves that can last for days. It just feels like you do after you have a sudden cramp in your leg that takes a while to go away, and then later your muscle just feels tight and sore.

Hope you feel better soon! :)

pud's friend 04-15-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catch (Post 644720)
Hope you feel better soon! :)

Oh, i'm fine. Nowt wrong with me :)

SallyC 04-16-2010 11:49 AM

1 2 3 streeeeetch, 1 2 3 streeeeetch!!!!!:D