NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Any connection's with TOS and Scintillating Scotoma plus eye muscle twitches? (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/158009-connections-tos-scintillating-scotoma-plus-eye-muscle-twitches.html)

SD38 09-27-2011 03:03 AM

Any connection's with TOS and Scintillating Scotoma plus eye muscle twitches?

I'm intigued.... has anyone out there with TOS experienced Scintillating Scotoma OR eye muscle twitches?:confused:
Yes I know occipital headaches are common for TOS sufferers ( Unfortunately this is a regular for me) but I have also experienced SS, 3 times now.... it's like a crazy psychadelic wavy lightshow in your field of vision- very trippy!

Let me know please, I'm curious to find out if it is a common symptom of TOS that's not mentioned?
Thanks for any input, SD38:)

chroma 09-27-2011 08:52 PM

I had scintillating scotoma (SS) over ten years ago which was around time I got my first TOS symptoms in my arm, although I did not know what either was.

I have not had SS in a long, long time, but I have eye muscle twitches on the symptomatic side.

I don't know if these are individually "common" as you say, but I think it's common for TOS people to have *something* in addition to classic signs. That's my inference just from reading these forums. But maybe it's only common in problem cases.

SD38 09-28-2011 05:20 AM

Scintillating Scotoma (SS)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chroma (Post 809854)
I had scintillating scotoma (SS) over ten years ago which was around time I got my first TOS symptoms in my arm, although I did not know what either was.

I have not had SS in a long, long time, but I have eye muscle twitches on the symptomatic side.

I don't know if these are individually "common" as you say, but I think it's common for TOS people to have *something* in addition to classic signs. That's my inference just from reading these forums. But maybe it's only common in problem cases.

Thanks for your input Chroma.

What a strange world of symptoms we live in hey.:rolleyes:
I wonder how may responses there will be to this thread? Or are we the ONLY ones????
SD38 :)

Capricorn1 09-30-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD38 (Post 809548)
I'm intigued.... has anyone out there with TOS experienced Scintillating Scotoma OR eye muscle twitches?:confused:
Yes I know occipital headaches are common for TOS sufferers ( Unfortunately this is a regular for me) but I have also experienced SS, 3 times now.... it's like a crazy psychadelic wavy lightshow in your field of vision- very trippy!

Let me know please, I'm curious to find out if it is a common symptom of TOS that's not mentioned?
Thanks for any input, SD38:)

Yes, I have. I tell my husband, it's like if I was taking LSD in the 60s and having a flashback. I saw my doctor yesterday and complained again of it, she noticed that one of my eyes is slightly larger than the other, and attributes it to my TOS. She mentioned myofasical pain syndrome and is recommending right sided scalene blocks. I, too am confused. I had a rib-resection in 2009 and continue to have TOS symptoms although not as bad as before. This is just one of the newest ones.:(

SD38 10-01-2011 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capricorn1 (Post 810874)
Yes, I have. I tell my husband, it's like if I was taking LSD in the 60s and having a flashback. I saw my doctor yesterday and complained again of it, she noticed that one of my eyes is slightly larger than the other, and attributes it to my TOS. She mentioned myofasical pain syndrome and is recommending right sided scalene blocks. I, too am confused. I had a rib-resection in 2009 and continue to have TOS symptoms although not as bad as before. This is just one of the newest ones.:(

Thanks for your input Capricorn1, interesting how you mentioned one eye is larger than the other...... SNAP!
The eye I experienced( SS) in is slightly smaller- not the actual pupil size but the surrounding eyelids. Only minimal difference but noticable when you focus on it. I find that I have to accentuate that eye with extra eyeliner to widen the appearance of it.Strange!:confused:
I've also had rib excision op - VTOS ( 28 days ago) and due another on opposite side- V/ATOS.... I wonder if that will make a difference? OR prehaps get my eyes tested, as it is actually weaker too _ vision can get blurry. I must confess that I have NEVER bothered to have them checked.
Check out posts by Chroma---- some very good tips given on stretching the SCM etc.
Thanks SD38
Hope your symptoms hold off for you.:)