NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   SCS & Pain Pumps (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/)
-   -   Detoxing oral meds after implant? (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/163924-detoxing-oral-meds-implant.html)

magecharlie 01-25-2012 02:16 PM

Detoxing oral meds after implant?

I am strongly considering having a pain pump implanted. *I am on opioids for pain control. *Can someone explain to me the process of weaning off the oral meds when you have a pain pump implanted. Did you have the pump implanted and *then* wean yourself off the morphine? *Or how else does detoxing off your oral meds work?

Thanks for any insights...

Mage Charlie*

eva5667faliure 01-25-2012 04:07 PM

good question

Rrae 01-25-2012 08:51 PM

Hello Mage Charlie!

Quote:

Originally Posted by magecharlie (Post 845030)
I am strongly considering having a pain pump implanted. *I am on opioids for pain control. *Can someone explain to me the process of weaning off the oral meds when you have a pain pump implanted. Did you have the pump implanted and *then* wean yourself off the morphine? *Or how else does detoxing off your oral meds work?

Thanks for any insights...

Mage Charlie*

Welcome to NT! So glad you found us!
That absolutely IS a good question. Hopefully some of our other pumpers will see this and give input.
The rest of us have SCS's. I'm not sure how they make the medication transition, but I'm pretty sure they would make it as easy for you as possible. There's probably a way they 'overlap' the meds while getting the pump, so you don't suffer withdrawal.

As far as detoxing off meds, Mark56 will have real good insight on that to help you. I hope you stick around so we know how this unfolds for you. I'd like to know more about pain pump experiences. The members who actively posted haven't been here in awhile, but they loved theirs. Maybe the fact that they don't post much anymore means that they have no need for a pain forum if they are doing well with their pumps.

It's sure great to have you!

Rae
:grouphug:

Mark56 01-26-2012 12:25 AM

Hey Mage!!

Weaning off.... well, not being a pumper, I was prescribed meds regarding withdrawal from opiates, regarding sleep, regarding nausea, regarding the bowel tract because the opiates lock up digestion. This was going on in July-September 2010 on my thread long about here http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread117854-25.html

BUT, then I was withdrawing from the entire suite of pain meds.... all of them, and not going to a pump filled with pain meds. Seems to me your withdrawal will still be a gradual titration thing so small steps down and small steps up on the pump ultimately bring you to full pump use. Since you will be trading opiates for opiates, maybe you will have no nausea, no bowel issues, no variance in your sleep pattern...... as for me, the danger was beyond all of those issues to DEPRESSION, ACUTE onset DEPRESSION. I had to go start posting on the survivors of suicide threads because the deep dark hole was so deep, so dark, so withdrawn....... so....... tempting.

WATCH IT!!! Gotta be on the heads up especially related to potential withdrawal crash. I crashed.

CARE in the process. Ask lots of questions. Have yourself monitored, significant other/spouse/parent, someone in charge seeing to your state of mental health as you withdraw...... a gate keeper person who knows you and keeps watch over your wellbeing day by day. My wife did this, in league with my lawyer and my doc.

False scare not intended, but this was my reality if you read into October.

Prayin for ya,
Mark56:grouphug:

Saffy 01-26-2012 09:42 AM

Gosh Mark, how I can relate to that .. My withdrawal from Oxycodone last year was like going to hell and back and I still suffer panic attacks .

magecharlie 01-27-2012 06:42 PM

thank you for the welcome

Hi folks,

Thanks for the kind welcome. My paindoc said that they normally wean people off the oral mere after putting the pump in. But he also said the pump does work very well while you're still on morals.

I have been on opioids for pain since 2003. So I imagine I have some weaning to do.

Damn but I hope this thing works for me. I sm IN TOO much pain and I want my brain back! Friggin drugs cost me my job in IT cause I couldn't think sharply enough on the drugs.

The pump could solve that issue.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Mage

Mark56 01-28-2012 10:55 AM

Mage Seize and Hold Dearly to that Thought

Pain cost me one of the highest paying careers in law in the country years ago and it was this God inspired, blessed SCS coupled with full withdrawal from pain management meds which again made me marketable. I am now employed full time as an executive and Gen Counsel for an up and coming company, having a wonderful time using my skills once again...... not to mention bringing a second income into our family which is enabling us to once again purchase a home for our family and family business.

I feel blessed. You can too with your precisely delivered and measured pump device. Seize that goal, hold onto the brass ring for all you are worth, and give it a go to regain career, self esteem, means of support. It is well worth it AND Those Success Stories are much needed in this forum.

Hoping and praying the best for you,

magecharlie 02-03-2012 08:57 PM

thanks!!!

Thanks, Mark!

I am sincerely glad you refound your brain and were able to again use your God-given talents! Good for you!!!!

And thanks for the prayers. Me and my family need them fright now.

MC

Mark56 02-03-2012 10:34 PM

This

This beautiful synchronicity of people who need to reach out in outreach for the benefit not only of others but also for their wellbeing is EXACTLY what makes this place tick. Not a well oiled machine, this, rather a huge heart beating with the pulsing interaction of all who here reveal their fears, their pain, their joys, their grief, their goals, their failures, the disappointments in reliance on humankind which is sometimes not so kind.

This place beats with the pulse of shared love and care,
You have your finger on the pulse, and your participation makes it stronger,
Wow,

ger715 02-04-2012 12:27 PM

Mark, replying so I can look this info up in the future (regarding your withdrawal). This is of great interest to me. I have hope for the future, at sometime, getting off all these narcotics. Of course, I know the weening, etc., but interested in how you accomplished this. I know your SCS was of great help; but again interested in the process.

Thanks for all you do for this site.
God is with you.

(Ger)