NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Question about dizziness/vision (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/226038-question-dizziness-vision.html)

seth8a 09-15-2015 10:52 AM

Question about dizziness/vision

Hi Everyone,

It has been awhile since I've posted here--I had a severe concussion from a bike wreck back in March of this year while training for the upcoming cycling season with a brief LOC. Although most of my symptoms have resolved (nausea, headaches, vertigo, and much of the fogginess is gone), there still remains the following:

* A near constant light dizziness and disequilibrium.
* Light sensitivity, esp. to fluorescent lights, which causes dizziness
* When this disequilibrium occurs, I tend to then get brain fog.
* I seem to have a problem with one dimensional vision.
* When I walk, often it seems like the horizon is *tilted*

I did get an analysis of my vestibular system and everything checked out very well (they said that I could do some higher level balance stuff). I continue to cycle and run, as that makes me feel better. I have also continued to work, although it has been a real struggle for me because I work under fluorescent lights. The dizziness causes EXTREME anxiety for me.

I am going to see an OT again and also have my vision checked; it seems like my main issues must have to do with my vision.

Has anyone had success with prism glasses to assist with getting vision and balance back to normal? I think this is my last hurdle. Thanks to everyone for the great help on this forum. Aside from figuring the dizziness out, I have to say that this does get better!

Thank you.

Bud 09-15-2015 02:26 PM

Seth,

I experience dizziness but it never seems to upset my balance if that can make sense. I got on a wakeboard the other day for the first time in a year and a half without any balance problems though I felt a bit off afterwards yet without any adverse balance effects.

Does it affect your cycling any? I wonder of late if I have always experienced these bits of dizziness but was never aware of worried by it...I know I am way over sensitive about my body now.

Bud

seth8a 09-15-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 1171200)
Seth,

I experience dizziness but it never seems to upset my balance if that can make sense. I got on a wakeboard the other day for the first time in a year and a half without any balance problems though I felt a bit off afterwards yet without any adverse balance effects.

Does it affect your cycling any? I wonder of late if I have always experienced these bits of dizziness but was never aware of worried by it...I know I am way over sensitive about my body now.

Bud

It doesn't actually affect my cycling at all, which is a blessing! I have also become way over-sensitive about my body as well.

I have also wondered, and maybe I'm totally out there in this query--could I have suffered a mild brain stem injury in my accident that is effecting my balance and vision? My CT Scan was fine, but perhaps an MRI would tell me more. It seems that my breathing has been affected since the accident, too, although I wonder if this has more to do with my anxiety. I wonder if I should pursue the MRI option at this point.

Would a CT Scan be able to tell if there was some sort of brain stem issue? Or is this just anxiety getting in the way.

Bud 09-15-2015 03:28 PM

Seth,

I have had breathing discomfort too.

I think for me it is straight up anxiety. It is always anxious or panicked breathing and that type of thinking that accompanies it.

Bud

seth8a 09-15-2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 1171211)
Seth,

I have had breathing discomfort too.

I think for me it is straight up anxiety. It is always anxious or panicked breathing and that type of thinking that accompanies it.

Bud

Has this improved over the months?

Bud 09-15-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seth8a (Post 1171213)
Has this improved over the months?

Seth,

It has and it is definitely correlated to how well I control anxiety. If I allow the ruminations to take control I can feel my breathing tightening up.

I have no trouble swimming, walking or the short 1/4 mile I can jog every few days during my daily walk.

Bud

seth8a 09-15-2015 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 1171219)
Seth,

It has and it is definitely correlated to how well I control anxiety. If I allow the ruminations to take control I can feel my breathing tightening up.

I have no trouble swimming, walking or the short 1/4 mile I can jog every few days during my daily walk.

Bud

E
Doyou feel like you are your way to full recovery?

packersrule 09-15-2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seth8a (Post 1171158)
Hi Everyone,

It has been awhile since I've posted here--I had a severe concussion from a bike wreck back in March of this year while training for the upcoming cycling season with a brief LOC. Although most of my symptoms have resolved (nausea, headaches, vertigo, and much of the fogginess is gone), there still remains the following:

* A near constant light dizziness and disequilibrium.
* Light sensitivity, esp. to fluorescent lights, which causes dizziness
* When this disequilibrium occurs, I tend to then get brain fog.
* I seem to have a problem with one dimensional vision.
* When I walk, often it seems like the horizon is *tilted*

I did get an analysis of my vestibular system and everything checked out very well (they said that I could do some higher level balance stuff). I continue to cycle and run, as that makes me feel better. I have also continued to work, although it has been a real struggle for me because I work under fluorescent lights. The dizziness causes EXTREME anxiety for me.

I am going to see an OT again and also have my vision checked; it seems like my main issues must have to do with my vision.

Has anyone had success with prism glasses to assist with getting vision and balance back to normal? I think this is my last hurdle. Thanks to everyone for the great help on this forum. Aside from figuring the dizziness out, I have to say that this does get better!

Thank you.

I have the same issues with fluorescent lights causing dizziness. I was given special red tinted glasses that helped. I got them at Mayo and they said that many have respond well to them.

I find the glasses help delay the dizziness but not stop it. I have now been focusing on core training with balance focus. This is helping but I have had many concussions and have been told that fully recovery is not likely.

_Grace_ 09-15-2015 06:23 PM

Exact same problem here- positional vertigo and definitely exacerbated by fluorescent lights. Almost a year since my injury.

On the plus (?) side a MRI last month has me seeing a neurosurgeon & hoping the balance/numbness issues are resolved after the tumor removal. MRI with and w/o contrast was required, so ensure that you have both done at once.

Good luck,
Grace

seth8a 09-15-2015 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Grace_ (Post 1171242)

Exact same problem here- positional vertigo and definitely exacerbated by fluorescent lights. Almost a year since my injury.

On the plus (?) side a MRI last month has me seeing a neurosurgeon & hoping the balance/numbness issues are resolved after the tumor removal. MRI with and w/o contrast was required, so ensure that you have both done at once.

Good luck,
Grace

Grace,

Thanks for the response--if you don't mind my asking, what was your injury? And they subsequently found a tumor was causing some of the issues?