NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   going to ER, which med to ask for? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/218911-er-med.html)

canagirl 04-16-2015 04:19 PM

going to ER, which med to ask for?

Hi guys,

I know everyone wants me to calm down (I want that too). But the pain is sooo excruciating I can't function another minute. I need relief NOW, I am going to the ER, what should I ask for?

THANKS

Enna70 04-16-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canagirl (Post 1136057)
Hi guys,

I know everyone wants me to calm down (I want that too). But the pain is sooo excruciating I can't function another minute. I need relief NOW, I am going to the ER, what should I ask for?

THANKS

Pain wise? Well, when I had to go to the ER, I had to have a sedative...so they might give you one...they recommended pain management....so not sure what they will do for you....sorry you are in this much pain....:grouphug:

anon050715 04-16-2015 04:49 PM

Hope you get relief and prayers sent your way!

baba222 04-16-2015 04:52 PM

Quote:

Hi guys,

THANKS

Try to tell them how you feel. Depending on where you go, they may not be very helpful or knowledgeable about neuropathy.

I suggest telling them about your neuropathy/nerve damage.

:hug:

Hope you are better soon.

mrsD 04-16-2015 04:52 PM

You may find the ER not very compassionate for your request.

Current stats in US is that 40% of all ER visits are for drug seeking. So they tend to only refer you to your doctor or a pain management clinic.

I hope it is different where you are....but be prepared for disappointment.

anon050715 04-16-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1136066)
You may find the ER not very compassionate for your request.

Current stats in US is that 40% of all ER visits are for drug seeking. So they tend to only refer you to your doctor or a pain management clinic.

I hope it is different where you are....but be prepared for disappointment.

Agree with MrsD. I had to go to the ER for a severe anxiety attack a few years back and although they hit me with a sedative when I got there they referred me to my primary care physician for any further medicine. The ER doc told me he wont prescribe anxiety meds to take home.

Tunaboy 04-16-2015 05:04 PM

Sorry you are in so much pain. Hope you feel better soon!

en bloc 04-16-2015 05:16 PM

The ER will typically only treat 'acute' problems and pain. They don't usually get involved in long term pain mgmt.

EnglishDave 04-16-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Hi guys,

THANKS

I have only read the horror stories of how genuine sufferers can be seen and treated in the ER. I sincerely hope they can at least give you a sedative to calm your mind at least for a few hours.

Dave.

EmilySH 04-16-2015 06:33 PM

Wishing you some comfort at such a hard time. Stay strong and keep swimming! Praying for you.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2