NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   PCS & Liver function (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/62677-pcs-liver-function.html)

Mikeyy 12-03-2008 05:36 PM

PCS & Liver function

After seeing my acupuncturist and discribing to him my symtoms (mental foginess, lack of awareness of surroundings, fatigue, tinitus etc etc) he mentioned he felt my LIVER was VERY weak. Not from drinking or taking drugs ( I dont do drugs but drugs can effect your liver) he said it was from my body attacking my liver. Mainly cortisols as a result of my body not being able to maintain balance due to the PCS.

So I see him 1-2 times a week for my 45 min session, generally I get about 15 needles in the head (stress relief) and he will do some in my leg and arm as well. He also gives me a tea to drink. ITs a chinese herbal tea thats supposed to help strengthen the liver and other parts of the body and I must say Ive been having great results

The liver seems to make a huge difference in vision and hearing. MY tinitus was actually gone for 2-3 days which was awesome after having it for 9 months! It only returned after a night of drinking, yes im an idiot

So nevertheless do some reading on the liver, cortisols etc... and visit an acupuncturist! I have had great results from him

RisibleGirl 12-03-2008 07:04 PM

That's interesting, but for me not the case. In fact, I have a genetic liver disease that hasn't been at all affected by the PCS. I have had no more flareups after head injury (06/07) than before. I am very careful about the drugs that my neurologist prescribed (which are plenty!) though.

It could be that you've had a condition all along, but you're worn down from the PCS. My liver flares when I've overdone it (working too many hours, etc.) Stress will also cause my liver to flare- and I can honestly say that the PCS has been very stressful for me at times.

Mikeyy 12-05-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RisibleGirl (Post 419075)
That's interesting, but for me not the case. In fact, I have a genetic liver disease that hasn't been at all affected by the PCS. I have had no more flareups after head injury (06/07) than before. I am very careful about the drugs that my neurologist prescribed (which are plenty!) though.

It could be that you've had a condition all along, but you're worn down from the PCS. My liver flares when I've overdone it (working too many hours, etc.) Stress will also cause my liver to flare- and I can honestly say that the PCS has been very stressful for me at times.

ya thats very true... I always have lead a very stressful life however prior to the PCS I was able to manage it much better... I guess everything happens for a reason, I guess ill just have to take more vacations! :)

RisibleGirl 12-05-2008 09:05 PM

Now THAT's the spirit! I like the way you think!!!!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyy (Post 420154)
ya thats very true... I always have lead a very stressful life however prior to the PCS I was able to manage it much better... I guess everything happens for a reason, I guess ill just have to take more vacations! :)