NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   venlafaxine (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/232771-venlafaxine.html)

mussbsweet 02-20-2016 09:12 AM

venlafaxine

Has anyone tried this? My neurologist recommended this for my anxiety I have now. Input greatly appreciated. Thank you

Mark in Idaho 02-20-2016 11:03 AM

Many have tried Effexor over the years. It helped some, not helpful for others. Everybody will have their own response to using it. It is an SNRI med. The side-effects causes some to choose to stop taking it.

Have you tried any natural ways of helping your brain tolerate stress ? I'm doing good with the Vitamin regimen and 100 mgs of 5-HTP and 200 mgs of L-Theanine. I was on an SSRI for 14 years before tapering off and taking 5-HTP and L-Theanine instead.

But, getting anxiety under control can cause great improvements in PCS symptoms.

mussbsweet 02-20-2016 07:12 PM

Yea I'm having a hard time with anxiety. . My concussion was from an assault. But after that I've been having trouble feeling ok, lost a few friends due to.the concussion. So I'm just not always ok.i don't like meds at all I haven't taken it so we'll see .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1200439)
Many have tried Effexor over the years. It helped some, not helpful for others. Everybody will have their own response to using it. It is an SNRI med. The side-effects causes some to choose to stop taking it.

Have you tried any natural ways of helping your brain tolerate stress ? I'm doing good with the Vitamin regimen and 100 mgs of 5-HTP and 200 mgs of L-Theanine. I was on an SSRI for 14 years before tapering off and taking 5-HTP and L-Theanine instead.

But, getting anxiety under control can cause great improvements in PCS symptoms.

Mark in Idaho 02-20-2016 08:44 PM

Have you seen a psychologist or psychiatrist ? You anxiety may be due to PTSD from the assault. Plus, a psychiatrist would be better at understanding which anti-anxiety drugs to use. Try looking for a psychiatrist who works with TBI and PTSD.

Personally, I don't think non-psychiatrists should be prescribing psycho-active meds.

Anja 70 02-21-2016 06:45 AM

Last year in April my doctor prescribed it to me. I took it for one week, then I decided to stop taking it.
I felt terrible, it messed up my PCS brain, I was puking the whole time and I was not able to get out of bed.

Never again!

Bud 02-21-2016 04:03 PM

Anja,

I didn't know Germans puked!

The way you wrote that made me laugh, thanks!

Bud

Anja 70 02-21-2016 04:12 PM

Bud,

That's the word my dictionary told me. Okay, I think "throwing up" sounds better :D:D:D

mussbsweet 02-21-2016 07:16 PM

A psychiatrist prescribed it to me too .. she seemed knowledgeable on head injuries.
I dunno tho
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1200513)
Have you seen a psychologist or psychiatrist ? You anxiety may be due to PTSD from the assault. Plus, a psychiatrist would be better at understanding which anti-anxiety drugs to use. Try looking for a psychiatrist who works with TBI and PTSD.

Personally, I don't think non-psychiatrists should be prescribing psycho-active meds.

Joannetb 02-22-2016 12:12 AM

venlafaxine

I take Effexor, but I've been on it for 12 years for depression that is hereditary. It has worked really well for me, but after the concussion I'm having a bit more sadness. I do know people who have suffered far worse depression as a side effect. For me the only side effects are the crazy dreams, but they're funny for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mussbsweet 02-22-2016 07:05 PM

I'm going to ask the neurologist on Wed if it in anyway will harm my pcs. I have been having more anxiety and pretty bad depression since my assault and tbi. Just looking for help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joannetb (Post 1200698)
I take Effexor, but I've been on it for 12 years for depression that is hereditary. It has worked really well for me, but after the concussion I'm having a bit more sadness. I do know people who have suffered far worse depression as a side effect. For me the only side effects are the crazy dreams, but they're funny for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk