NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Scared of developing seizures (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/222166-scared-developing-seizures.html)

Galaxy1012 06-26-2015 02:03 PM

Scared of developing seizures

I am scared of developing seizures after I had a concussion 15 months ago. MRI brain was negative if that matters. I have had twitching random muscles in my body and occasional jerks while falling asleep which started after about 10 months after the concussion( not sure if cinnarizine and dimendydrinate caused it as I took it for my mild vertigo problem). I read a few posts where it was mentioned that concussed people have a risk of developing seizures even after years. How common is that ?

I am really scared now. I haven't had a sign of seizure till now, knock on wood. But I am scared of always having a risk of developing seizures if I push myself into things years from now or try to return to normal and get over it. Please throw some light on this

Mark in Idaho 06-26-2015 02:27 PM

You have a greater risk of getting run over by a car or other vehicle. The likelihood of developing a seizure disorder is very low. The twitches and jerks when falling asleep are a temporary movement disorder as the body goes from being awake to asleep. When asleep, the body relaxes the muscles to an almost paralyzed state. This is an interruption of this transition. Many of us with PCS have this twitching issue.

_Grace_ 06-30-2015 08:28 PM

seizures

Hi Galaxy,

I had a problem with seizures pre-concussion, self- diagnosed with catamenial epilepsy. Magnesium supplements should prevent any issues. I am also taking Keppra but it sounds like the Mg should ease your anxiety. Some of the pills are huge, so I have reverted to the jigsaw brand.

Take care,
Grace

Mark in Idaho 06-30-2015 08:32 PM

Grace, Galaxy is not having seizures. She is struggling with anxiety about developing a seizure disorder. Her risk of such is extremely remote.

_Grace_ 07-01-2015 09:18 AM

My advice re Mg was for anxiety- it has proven helpful for me.

KnockedOutMom 07-13-2015 11:52 AM

I can completely understand your fears, especially now that my husband started having seizures after a brain injury he suffered 39 years ago. When it was just one we thought it was a one off thing, but he had another 2 weeks later.

My anxiety ramped right up last week when I realized that my TBI could cause me to have seizures too. I understand your feelings.

Best thing you can do is relax, as Mark said, the likelihood is slim. Stressing out about something that might possibly happen one day isn't helping us, try some meditation or other relaxation techniques.