NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Cognitive Dysfunction (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/169473-cognitive-dysfunction.html)

Blessings2You 05-09-2012 11:04 AM

Cognitive Dysfunction

I recently read comments from a couple of folks with MS who are so impaired cognitively that they require full-time aides, notes taped everywhere, someone to manage their finances, etc.

My heart goes out to those people. From what I've read, that degree of cognitive dysfunction isn't common, but it surely is sometimes part of MS. I found myself thinking hard about my own cognitive issues.

Sometimes we call it "cog fog", and that's how it manifests in some of us. That "just-woke-up" feeling, disembodied, cobwebs on the brain, slow-motion. Pretty common, from what I understand.

I realize that I tend to overstate my cognitive issues. I process information more slowly. I can't think on my feet as I once could. I have trouble sometimes finishing a thought, calling up a word or name, focusing on what someone is saying.

I DON'T, however, forget appointments or to pay bills, get lost in the grocery store, ask the same question three times in five minutes, or live in the fog full-time.

I tend to say things such as "I'm brainless" or "My memory is shot" or "I'm such a zombie." No, I'm not. I don't think anyone but my kids or my closest friends even notices. I think I "exaggerate" out of frustration. I USED to be quick-thinking, the one who remembered everything, faster than the contestants on Jeopardy, the Vocabulary Lady.

My cognitive dysfunction is upsetting, but mild (in the scheme of things) I see that more clearly now. And I'm thankful for that!

kicker 05-09-2012 12:50 PM

I am in a wheelchair, my physical is way effected by MS, but my cognitive seems pretty good. (although Aging throws me a zinger once in awhile).

I hate when people on the phone ask me "Is there someone there who helps you I can talk to" when I do things. NO. The stocks are mine (all earning thank you, bought by earnings on other stocks), the money is in my name only (an inheritance) and I pay the bills and handle our money and taxes. "Can she fill out a form" a receptionist asked my husband over my head. I was good, I kept my mouth closed and didn't say "Honey, I'm smarter than you." I think sometimes people think I'm a great crip because I don't drool. People read a little something, think they are now an expert.

Jules A 05-09-2012 02:48 PM

I have recently been very successful in grad school but still panic when I'm at a loss for words or say the wrong word when talking. :(

I'm 48 years old for Pete's sake, isn't any of this just normal aging? The thought of having cognitive difficulties in addition to mobility issues is horrible. :mad:

KittyLady 05-09-2012 02:59 PM

I have the cog-fog. Some days are worse than others. I have a hard time remembering what I did 2 hours ago. I wouldnt remember eating and get into a heated argument with my dh about it and he would have to take me to the kitchen and show me my dishes. I can still pay bills, but need reminding when they are due.

I have a notebook I write EVERYTHING in or else I would forget everything. Appointments, shopping, dh days off work, etc. I do repeat things several times when Im having a bad day. I forget my words constantly. If I cant remember what something is called I start to describe it and hope the other person can guess what Im talking about. I will be talking and stop mid sentence and just forget that I was talking. Ive done that infront of the neuro, and he doesnt seem to worry about it.

I told my dh that I now understand the frustration his father must feel being an 80yr old man after his brain tumor surgery. This disease just makes me feel old... walkers, canes, scooters, help me I cant get up buttons.... I get excited when I see a rollator on sale :D

marion06095 05-09-2012 03:37 PM

I have had cognitive difficulties because of MS. But then again, I always was a little bit too smart for my own good. :wink:

Kitty 05-09-2012 03:58 PM

I'm better at certain times of the day. First thing in the morning is always better than late afternoon. If I'm overly tired I have a hard time finding the words I want to use. Could be age (I'm 51)....could be MS.....could be both. If I forget to brush my teeth then I'll worry. :p

Debbie D 05-09-2012 04:17 PM

I have the fog...can't organize, process, or remember. also have verbal retrieval problems.
It's sad, because I was a "gifted" student. No more:(:(

Blessings2You 05-09-2012 04:56 PM

Sometimes I freak myself out by thinking, "What if I already AM that bad and don't know it??"

SallyC 05-09-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessings2You (Post 877861)
Sometimes I freak myself out by thinking, "What if I already AM that bad and don't know it??"

Well, ignorance is bliss, so they say.

I play Trivia with you and others and find none of you are slow or inept..:mad:..:)

dmplaura 05-09-2012 06:58 PM

I'm 35 and about to go into a medical to insurance to employer 'appeal' for modified work duties due to cognitive, in part (the pain and constant headaches/migraines and overall stress level in role being other aspects).

I always thought I was so lucky, my cognitive wasn't suffering... until my manager pointed out I had re-used the same word 5 times in one 2 line paragraph. I used to work as an editor/proofreader for newspapers and have been a writer since I could pick up a pen! I was crushed and so disappointed/dismayed.

I structure things: Walking in the AM, I get back, first thing I do is hang up coat, put keys in purse, turn on coffee maker (which is set up before bed), go to bathroom, turn on hot water, back to bedroom, de-robe, back to bathroom, opening office door on way to allow in air before work, etc etc.

I even make sure I follow a series of precise steps for each 'aspect' of my day, and when things don't fall into place, I panic like mad!

You explained it very well B2Y, what I'm feeling at work now.. I'm expected to respond to emails from clients. Perfect job for M.S.'er. I have time to compose my thoughts and ideas before replying. Low stress. Then they added more and more to that role, wanting me to also take inbound phone calls and place outbound.

The last outbound call at work I got off the phone in a cold sweat. I could not follow my client's questions "On the fly"... thinking on my feet just escaped me and I blanked. It was horrible. Now I work to get all parties involved to understand that I can't be on the phone with clients, let me do my job and only one job, as it was before when was healthier (and happier, not feeling like such a letdown).