NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   I have a copaxone/betaseron question. (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/87083-copaxone-betaseron-question.html)

turtle_78 05-15-2009 08:30 PM

I have a copaxone/betaseron question.

I was wondering if my depression should be treated before or during my treatmen? I am going on hte 18 to find out what treatment I should start. it is a toss up between Copaxone and betaseron. Any info that you all might have would be great

Thanks
Sue

RedPenguins 05-15-2009 10:49 PM

Depression can be treated during your treatment - as it takes time for anti-depressants to work and you might likely continue to need to take them for a period of time....so you wouldn't necessarily want to wait to start DMD treatment.

Keep in mind that Beta can cause and/or exacerbate depression. Copaxone does not have that side effect - but the other ones: Rebif, Beta, and Avonex do have depression listed as side effect possibilities.

Good luck with whatever your choice...read the boards...post specific questions here - people have tried many different combinations of treatments and maybe you can learn some things about what works and what doesn't work well!

~Keri

Dejibo 05-16-2009 08:48 AM

not everyone who takes Beta or interferons gets depressed. If you have a history of depression, you will be more likely to become depressed, but for the most part, its a "chance" I would not take meds for a condition until one exists. You may be one of those that walks right by the depression door, and refuses to open it. When I was on Beta, I didnt experience anything other than the normal frustrations of having to do a shot and a new disease stuff. If depression becomes an issue there are some wonderful meds that you can take, and If you and the MD decide that its out of control, or too much to handle, you can always switch over to Copaxone.

I wish you luck with the decision. Taking an everyday shot isnt fun, but it does become like brushing your teeth. just another thing we do to keep ourselves going. I brush my hair, brush my teeth, take my shot, put on sunscreen, and get on with my day.

Hang in there. :hug:

FinLady 05-16-2009 08:49 AM

I agree. It takes time for the AD's to take effect (and sometimes it takes time to find the one that works for you), so those can be started before the DMD's.

Best of luck with whichever DMD you choose. :hug:

turtle_78 05-23-2009 06:31 PM

Well I had my appt on the 18th and my MRI had little to no change since 2 years ago:yahoo:. So he want to put me on Avonex. He said that it was my choice to go on the Copaxone or Betasaron but he recomands the avonex because I have had little change. I go back on the 15 of June to let him know what I want to go on.

He told my hubby that if he sees that I am getting depressed to call him right away he he would get me back on the prozac that I have been on many times before.

So my question now is how is Avonex? and is there anything that I should be worried about?

SandyC 05-23-2009 07:46 PM

Jim had to start Zoloft after he started Beta. It took about 6 months to notice the slow creeping depression. He's fine now that he's on the AD. Good luck to you. :hug:

The only part about Avonex Jim hated was the flu like symptoms. Most go away in time but his never did. He stayed on it for four years with no changes in his MRI which was great. But as mentioned, the flu like stuff was maddening. We never knew if the fever was due to a UTI or the Avonex. Plus it lasted three days after the shot for Jim, sometimes longer. Beta is much better for him but I have heard others say Beta did what Avonex did to him. So everyone is different. Hope it does well for you. Jim didn't need an AD with Avonex. I remember Victor saying he didn't have any problems with Avonex.

Love the baby pic!