NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Clavicle mobilization (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/211259-clavicle-mobilization.html)

Hiker 10-22-2014 06:41 PM

Clavicle mobilization

Did anyone try doing clavicle mobilization and did you find it helpful?
It is supposed to reduce compression by adding a tiny bit of space under it.
Basically you push on the clavicle joints in different directions to move them around.
I tried doing this for a few days and can feel the clavicle moving a bit. But there is so little movement that I can hardly believe this can make a difference.

Jomar 10-22-2014 07:38 PM

Did you try to mobilize the top rib too?
Usually that is the one I've heard more about- rib mobilization.
It was a big help for my problems.. after we got the spasms taken care of.

Severe spasms pulled my top rib up and it got stuck in the raised position.

Hiker 10-22-2014 07:46 PM

I have a cracked rib on the left so I have to be careful on that side.
Tried it on the other side with a tennis ball - I cannot get it to move.

You mean the scalene spasms, right? Working on these with the chiro.
How did you get them resolved and how long it took?
I find scalene stretches difficult. My shoulders and arms are numb for days after doing these.

Nellyzen 10-22-2014 09:40 PM

I did not have success with any of these mobilizations because I had an extra piece of bone where the first rib connected to the sternum, which kept my first ribs immobile. Problem solved with surgery

Jomar 10-22-2014 10:40 PM

If they are in spasm , no use stretching them, just makes it worse unless you are very gentle about it.

My chiro used a NIMMO technique which is more or less a mix of trigger point & deep tissue, plus a lot of ultrasound, heat, low level laser, IF stim.. all my upper body muscles were spasmed/locked up at the time.

Hiker is your rib not healed/healing ?

Hiker 10-22-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 1104598)
If they are in spasm , no use stretching them, just makes it worse unless you are very gentle about it.

My chiro used a NIMMO technique which is more or less a mix of trigger point & deep tissue, plus a lot of ultrasound, heat, low level laser, IF stim.. all my upper body muscles were spasmed/locked up at the time.

Hiker is your rib not healed/healing ?

Thanks Jo.
The scans from a couple months showed non-acute rib fracture which is either healing or chronic non-healing.
I suppose I need to do another MRI/CT at some point to see if there is a difference.
There is no pain in the rib if I press on it, but it may not be a good idea to press hard.