NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Short term disability, seeking opinions (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/239239-short-term-disability-seeking-opinions.html)

bachissimo 08-23-2016 09:46 AM

Short term disability, seeking opinions

Dear all

My work offers me the option to take short-term disability (while being paid 90% of my salary), for up to a year and perhaps even more, conditional on doctor letters. And that is not clear yet that my doctors will oblige. But assuming they do.

I have been dealing with PCS for 2 years now. At some point I got much better, but I keep getting setbacks especially recently. I have been off work for 4 weeks already. I discovered a big problem was vision and need vision therapy. The longer I stay in front of PC the worst my symptoms get. These days I can't do more than 1 hr. Since I have dizziness issues I also need vestibular rehabilitation badly.

I currently can't work, so clearly I am not going. But my question is whether it is a good idea not to go back as soon as I feel better but rather take a short-term disability so I can focus on therapy and relaxation for few months rather than straining my eyes at work?. Only returning when I feel much better and that I can consistently work.

If I take disability I will:

- do both therapies consistently (both therapies lead to setbacks, and do not seem to be very compatible with my work week)
- Take meditation classes and take up yoga
- Go to the Gym
- Re-insert myself into social life and going back to doing music bit by bit (something that I stopped since it triggers setbacks and hence had to stop in order to go to work)...

The main disadvantage from my perspective for taking a long leave is the promotion ladder. But I thought I ll ask in case you folks think there are other risks of taking time off, and whether on balance you think I should stay/leave.

Many thanks

davOD 08-23-2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bachissimo (Post 1221424)
Dear all

My work offers me the option to take short-term disability (while being paid 90% of my salary), for up to a year and perhaps even more, conditional on doctor letters. And that is not clear yet that my doctors will oblige. But assuming they do.

I have been dealing with PCS for 2 years now. At some point I got much better, but I keep getting setbacks especially recently. I have been off work for 4 weeks already. I discovered a big problem was vision and need vision therapy. The longer I stay in front of PC the worst my symptoms get. These days I can't do more than 1 hr. Since I have dizziness issues I also need vestibular rehabilitation badly.

I currently can't work, so clearly I am not going. But my question is whether it is a good idea not to go back as soon as I feel better but rather take a short-term disability so I can focus on therapy and relaxation for few months rather than straining my eyes at work?. Only returning when I feel much better and that I can consistently work.

If I take disability I will:

- do both therapies consistently (both therapies lead to setbacks, and do not seem to be very compatible with my work week)
- Take meditation classes and take up yoga
- Go to the Gym
- Re-insert myself into social life and going back to doing music bit by bit (something that I stopped since it triggers setbacks and hence had to stop in order to go to work)...

The main disadvantage from my perspective for taking a long leave is the promotion ladder. But I thought I ll ask in case you folks think there are other risks of taking time off, and whether on balance you think I should stay/leave.

Many thanks

In this day and age, you have the opportunity to take care of your self....Do It! lol.....thats awesome...

Yoga and mediation, yep good for you.....I dont agree with your other choices, so just keep my opinion in the back of your head...

I hope it all works out for you, call it getting a second chance.....some of us never got that shot.

bachissimo 08-25-2016 10:36 PM

Would love to get Mark's opinion on this particularly his thoughts on DavOD's comments about my medical leave (not sure yet) and protocol. He agrees with meditation + usual therapies, but seem to take issue with:

- Go to the Gym

when I go to the Gym (lifting) I feel better immediately after. I have not noticed a delayed negative effect either.

What is wrong with socializing (without alcohol) and going back slowly into playing music?