NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Anesthesia (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/246476-anesthesia.html)

pinkynose 04-16-2017 08:51 AM

Anesthesia

Hi all and Happy Easter to all that celebrate.:)

I'll get right to it.... 2 polyps in my endometrial lining were detected during a diagnostic hysteroscopy. One of them is large and because of this my gynecologist wants to use general anesthesia in an outpatient facility. I Really do not want to be put out. I asked if I could use local and a regional one if necessary. She said it would be very painful, that we could try and general would be a backup.

Am I being foolish? Should I try another doctor? I had this procedure in 2011 and was ok. That was before all the you know what hit the proverbial fan. :(

It's always something, isn't it?
:hug:

St George 2013 04-16-2017 02:54 PM

Hey pinkynose ! Happy Easter !

Sorry but I can't help you with this decision....lol....I'm a "knock me out" kinda girl !

Let's see what others have to say.

Debi from Georgia

hbielski1905 04-17-2017 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkynose (Post 1240931)
Hi all and Happy Easter to all that celebrate.:)

I'll get right to it.... 2 polyps in my endometrial lining were detected during a diagnostic hysteroscopy. One of them is large and because of this my gynecologist wants to use general anesthesia in an outpatient facility. I Really do not want to be put out. I asked if I could use local and a regional one if necessary. She said it would be very painful, that we could try and general would be a backup.

Am I being foolish? Should I try another doctor? I had this procedure in 2011 and was ok. That was before all the you know what hit the proverbial fan. :(

It's always something, isn't it?

I'm having a similar procedure tomorrow. I don't like being knocked out but I was told it was better. So, I will find out!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ger715 04-17-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St George 2013 (Post 1240949)
Sorry but I can't help you with this decision....lol....I'm a "knock me out" kinda girl !

Let's see what others have to say.

Debi from Georgia

Me toooooo!!!!

Gerry

Littlepaw 04-17-2017 03:05 PM

Pinkynose,

I understand not wanting to be put out. That said, the method they use can make a big difference on how you feel afterwards. I recently had a colonoscopy and was given propofol which wore off very quickly and left me without any nausea or adverse effects I get with other anesthesia meds.

Because of my nerve trauma, I personally try prevent getting hijacked too much by preventable, acute pain. When I had an extraction done last year they gave me a dab of ketamine and versed and in hindsight I was really glad I wasn't awake for the procedure even though many people could be.

Is the doctor's hesitancy due to difficulty in doing a proper local in the area for the size polyp she has to remove?

pinkynose 04-17-2017 06:40 PM

Those are good points Littlepaw. Acute pain could easily trigger a flair for me and that could easily last longer then the effects of the general anesthesia. As far as her being able to do a proper local, that will be up to the person administering the injection and I will discuss it with him/her beforehand. I am grateful for the benefit of your experience. ;)Carol
Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepaw (Post 1241026)
Pinkynose,

I understand not wanting to be put out. That said, the method they use can make a big difference on how you feel afterwards. I recently had a colonoscopy and was given propofol which wore off very quickly and left me without any nausea or adverse effects I get with other anesthesia meds.

Because of my nerve trauma, I personally try prevent getting hijacked too much by preventable, acute pain. When I had an extraction done last year they gave me a dab of ketamine and versed and in hindsight I was really glad I wasn't awake for the procedure even though many people could be.

Is the doctor's hesitancy due to difficulty in doing a proper local in the area for the size polyp she has to remove?

Healthgirl 04-19-2017 06:56 AM

What I would do is ask to speak to the anesthesiologist in advance with your concerns. When I get the guts to schedule my procedure I will be doing this. I will want to make sure they are up to date on how to deal with a person who has dysautonomia,very low blood pressure- that is affected by meds very severely.

pinkynose 04-19-2017 05:55 PM

I shall do that.

The one positive thing that has come out of all this is I speak up for myself now. I research, ask questions and take charge of my own health. I also listen to that song "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba a lot these days. (the chorus, not the drinking references-Lol!!)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Healthgirl (Post 1241100)
What I would do is ask to speak to the anesthesiologist in advance with your concerns. When I get the guts to schedule my procedure I will be doing this. I will want to make sure they are up to date on how to deal with a person who has dysautonomia,very low blood pressure- that is affected by meds very severely.