NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Home from hospital & rehab (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/51033-home-hospital-rehab.html)

Friend2U 07-30-2008 09:12 AM

Home from hospital & rehab

Hi Friends,
The last attack landed me in the hosp for IV steroids and 2 weeks of physical therapy. Home now with rollater for walking short distances and out patient PT.
Question: Is how I am now as good as I'll get? or with time, will the meylin continue to heal?
Good to be home to friends. :grouphug:

Snoopy 07-30-2008 09:30 AM

Glad your home and have checked in with us :hug:

It could be a long and frustrating process to see how much of your mobility comes back. Keep walking as much as possible without causing yourself to overdo. Make sure your doing the exercises you learned in PT AND REST.

Friend2U, my mobility has been severely affected by 5 or the 6 exacerbations. It's a long, frustrating, and slow process to regain mobility and endurance BUT I have been able to do it.

I hope this will be the case for you :hug:

Hang in there and talk to us, we understand.

Victor H 07-30-2008 09:43 AM

The entire process has no real end-point per se.

I hope that you recover well, and that the IVSM helped.

-Vic

lady_express_44 07-30-2008 10:49 AM

Nice to hear from you, friend. :hug: Sorry to hear you ended up in the hospital.

There are some abilities I've never recovered fully after an exacerbation, and others that I did. There is no real way to predict this. :cool:

I tend to mostly just rest when I am still IN an attack, but I agree with the "use it or lose it" approach once I've healed somewhat. I can only walk about 1 - 2 blocks at one time, over this past 5 yrs, but I walk short distances EVERY chance I get.

Nice to have you back.

Cherie

AfterMyNap 07-30-2008 10:59 AM

F2U! Good to see you again! I had begun wondering if you would be up to coming by for a visit. Like the others say, it can take some time and the only sure thing is your commitment to resting and your PT. No one can say for sure, but, I can tell you that I've personally had huge gaps between major attacks when I felt pretty darned okay for years at a time. I hope that's how it goes for you. :)

SallyC 07-30-2008 11:48 AM

Welcome home, Friend, nice to hear from you..:) Sorry about the Hosp stay and the 'roids, but glad you are on the mend.

I remember after going through the same as you, it took awhile to regain my strength and get back to normal, but it did happen, so hang in there.

Get Better Soon..:hug:

Debbie D 07-30-2008 02:26 PM

So glad you're home and on the mend...hope that the steroids and PT exercises get you back to normal...chin up and keep us informed...:hug:

Twinkletoes 07-30-2008 02:47 PM

As Good as it Gets? Let's hope not!

I hope you continue to improve. The others who posted sound very encouraging, so keep up the good work. Try to stay positive! :hug:

Let us know how you're doing -- keeping you in our prayers. :smileypray:

DM 07-30-2008 03:28 PM

Glad to hear from you F2U, but sure sorry about your flare/hosp. Take care of yourself and rest. Hopefully, you'll be feeling better soon.

Friend2U 07-30-2008 05:21 PM

Thank you ALL for your encouragement!

:smileypray: You give me hope...and that's a good thing. I don't give up, and you help me to want to keep up on my therapy exercizes and REST (which is the hardest of all things for me.)

But this has kicked me in my 'hard-headed butt' :thud:good enough this time to have no choice but to rest!:Zzzz:

I'm thinking and praying for all of you, though can't stay online much for now. Know I love you all and havent forgotten you in my prayers!:grouphug: