NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Does Baclofen Keep You Awake or Make You Sleepy? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/43903-baclofen-awake-sleepy.html)

Kitty 04-19-2008 01:24 PM

Does Baclofen Keep You Awake or Make You Sleepy?

I've just been put on Baclofen for spasticity. 10mg 3X daily.

The side effects list drowsiness and/or the inability to sleep. :confused:

Has anyone taken this and had one or the other? Or both? I hate not being able to sleep when I'm tired. The pharmacist said it would more than likely make me sleepy.

Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this drug.

Thanks! :)

Erin524 04-19-2008 02:17 PM

When I first tried it, it made me sleepy. I'd sleep all day if I could.

Now it just makes me feel weird. So, I'm not taking it any more, but I'm keeping the Rx because I have had some nasty spasticity recently and if I get really desperate, I'll take one half or 1/4 of a pill if I feel I need it. (I take a lot of my meds at half or 1/4 of the full strength. Some of the meds that make me sleepy feel like they're way too strong for me)

barb02 04-19-2008 02:24 PM

I only take 10 mg a day as needed, but I have not noticed either effect. It does make me mildly nauseated.

Erin524 04-19-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb02 (Post 262026)
I only take 10 mg a day as needed, but I have not noticed either effect. It does make me mildly nauseated.

I get the nauseous feeling with it too...one of the reasons why when I take it, I break the pill up and dont take the whole dose.

Victorya 04-19-2008 04:44 PM

I've been taking Baclofen for several years now, and have upped my dosage from 20mg per day to 80 mg per day.

I don't have any side effects from it at all...I think ;)

It might make me sleepy...but I'm so fatigued as it is, I wouldn't notice a little extra fatigue.

My daily dosage of Provigil takes care of my fatigue (mostly) and the baclofen takes care of my lower back spacticity (mostly) so I'm good to go :)

Kitty 04-19-2008 05:09 PM

Thanks everyone - I took one pill (10mg) at about 3 PM and haven't really felt overly sleepy - maybe a little tipsy, though. I feel like I've had one too many margarita's! I wish it were true!! :D

hollym 04-19-2008 06:12 PM

I felt stoned at first. Then, I got used to it and I'm like Victorya and I take 80 mg per day now with no side effects.

Kristi 04-19-2008 06:41 PM

Well,it sure in heck doesn't make me sleepy sadly.I've been suffering from insomnia for months now and I'm pretty sure it's from the baclofen(and I only take a small dose 10 mgs at night only) so I just take two sleeping pills every night and I'm off to dreamland.

tovaxin_lab_rat 04-19-2008 06:51 PM

It made me feel like a zombie. My eyes were practically glazed over within about 15 minutes of taking one pill. Not the drug for me! :eek:

cricket52 04-19-2008 06:52 PM

Hi herekitty:

Baclofen makes me sleepy. I dropped to 50 mg/day because I was napping twice a day and struggling to stay awake.

It's a trade-off - pain or sleepiness. Sleep is good and is the winner.