NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Just wondering (for the women) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/53339-wondering-women.html)

Iffynah 08-31-2008 04:50 PM

Just wondering (for the women)

I was just wondering if any of you ever got pergnant while having RSD? My hubby wants us to have another baby, but I'm not so sure about it. We already have 2, a 5 yr old and a 10 month old. If any of you did, did you have to go thru extra special care or anything? This is something that I want to talk to a doctor about but still waiting for the nurse to set up an appointment. I keep emailing her and getting no replies, I have been waiting for over a month for her to do this. No pain meds and in tremendous pain, really bites.

GalenaFaolan 09-01-2008 03:13 AM

I haven't but there was one or 2 on the board that did have babies. I haven't seen the one I'm sure of post in quite some time. Do a search on the board for pregnancy. I forget the one woman's name but I remember she wrote down what happened with her during pregnancy and afterward.

Hugs,

Karen

GJmom 09-01-2008 05:39 PM

I had both of my kids while having RSD. Pregnancy was fine I was off my feet more then what I would guess to be normal. I never had a flare during my whole pregnancy, I guess my feet ached more though. I have been told that it can put it into remission, because of the hormone change. My RSD was better for about 7 months, low pain no flairs after I had my daughter.
What I had to do while I was pregnant was...
I had to have an epidural. They said that they are not sure what would happen, but to get a epi right away.
People had to hold my feet no stirrups during labor
then all the special things with blood draws that we have to do now.
There really was nothing other then that.
For me it was all very good. I would do it again if we were in a place to have another baby.
If you have any questions feel free to ask no matter what it is.

loretta 09-03-2008 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJmom (Post 359552)
I had both of my kids while having RSD. Pregnancy was fine I was off my feet more then what I would guess to be normal. I never had a flare during my whole pregnancy, I guess my feet ached more though. I have been told that it can put it into remission, because of the hormone change. My RSD was better for about 7 months, low pain no flairs after I had my daughter.
What I had to do while I was pregnant was...
I had to have an epidural. They said that they are not sure what would happen, but to get a epi right away.
People had to hold my feet no stirrups during labor
then all the special things with blood draws that we have to do now.
There really was nothing other then that.
For me it was all very good. I would do it again if we were in a place to have another baby.
If you have any questions feel free to ask no matter what it is.

Hi GJMOM,
I have a question? What are the special things for blood draws? I assume
you mean precautionary, because of the needle I have only had one since I found out about my RSD diagnosis. I asked for the opposite arm. Now I have it both arms, acually full body so would like to know. Thanks Loretta

Sandel 09-03-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loretta jewell (Post 360651)
Hi GJMOM,
I have a question? What are the special things for blood draws? I assume
you mean precautionary, because of the needle I have only had one since I found out about my RSD diagnosis. I asked for the opposite arm. Now I have it both arms, acually full body so would like to know. Thanks Loretta

Hi, sory to butt in here, my local lab now uses pediatric needles on me for blood draws and dosnt use elastic straps directly on my arms to turnique, but uses a strap over material instead to cut off b lood flow before taking blood. It is far less painful and far less invasive.

be well,
Sandra

(RSD all 4 limbs)

GJmom 09-03-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandel (Post 360883)
Hi, sory to butt in here, my local lab now uses pediatric needles on me for blood draws and dosnt use elastic straps directly on my arms to turnique, but uses a strap over material instead to cut off b lood flow before taking blood. It is far less painful and far less invasive.

be well,
Sandra

(RSD all 4 limbs)

That covers it. Sorry I was having a hard time typing, and wanted to make it short.

Iffynah 09-04-2008 12:52 PM

Thank you

Thank you all so much. Part of the reason I really don't want to have another one is because we are financially struggling, have no car, and now we are being told that our 5 yr old son might have autisim. I was just curious about it. Its my hubby that wants to have another child not me, and until things straighten out, it will remain that way.

Cake 09-04-2008 07:47 PM

Hi there

I've posted my story a few times, it should come up in the searches if you search for pregnancy, or alternatively you can look at my blog www.thesixofus.wordpress.com and go into the "RSD/CRPS Info" link at the top of the page. My story is at the bottom of that.

But basically, I've had two pregnancies post rsd, and two before. Both post rsd pregnancies were very different- with my rsd calming right down during my first, and it coming back and being worse in my second. With both though, the newborn stage was worse than the pregnancy. I had to bottle feed so I could take my meds and not have the baby lie on my bad arm during feeding, I had trouble holding the baby/picking up/bathing/changing etc, plus being tired and in pain and having a screaming baby.

It's very hard to hold a baby when you're on crutches, or when you can't use one arm!

It's not easy, its a lot worse than a non-rsd woman would have to deal with, but of course it is worth it in the long run. When my first post-rsd baby was about 1 (he's my third child, I also had a 3 year old and a 5 year old daughter at that time), my husband had to stop work and stay home full time as carer to me and the kids.

He now works two days a week, but I haven't been able to deal with everything physically enough for him to go back to full time work, so its 5 years now that we've been like this. It's great having him home, but financially its tough.

Anyway, hope that helps a little. Have a look at my blog if you like. It goes way back to when my two year old was a jellybean in my tummy!

x Kate

Cake 09-04-2008 07:50 PM

Oh, and I should add that I had a c/section with my last baby. I had a spinal block which was amazing, stopped all my rsd pain in my arm and leg too. With my son I just had a normal birth, with the allowances and adjustments that others mentioned- no stirrups, butterfly needle if ivs were needed, etc etc. That one was hard, and the rsd came back within hours. So my rsd dr and my gynae reckoned that a c/section would be best, with a spinal block

Iffynah 09-04-2008 09:54 PM

Yeah I know how hard it is to take care of a baby with only one arm. My daughter was only 4 months old when I was injured at work, she is now 10 months old. I injured my right wrist at work and was diagnosed with RSD like a month and a half later.