NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Well, here I go...Surgery #5... (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/43259-surgery-5-a.html)

tamiloo 04-10-2008 09:56 AM

Well, here I go...Surgery #5...

Well, sorry about the long post but I needed to have someone to talk to about all that is going on…

My first surgery was 17 years ago and I did so well I got stupid and that led to my second surgery. My fusion...I have six lumbar...L6 to S1. I also have Spina Bifida Occulta in my L5 and L6 vertebrae.

My third surgery was to take out screws that had broken...still have parts of the screws in my S1.

Fourth surgery was in 2001, my L5 was unstable and also had bone spurs so they fuse me using bone that they cut away cleaning up. On Monday had a new MRI and it showed that the fusion had not been complete.

Soooooooo...the MRI showed that I have bilateral disc bulging of the discs between L3-L4 and L4-L5 and also my L4 is unstable and moving in some strange ways when I flex my back. We have talked about surgery to make everything more stable and to fuse.

By the way I have heard people talk about using your own bone from you hip for fusion and that there is a new way??

I have been in pain all my life because of the Spina Bifida and other factors. I know that I won't get pain relief from this surgery...I will exchange one kinda of pain for another. To walk or stand pains me greatly. Recovery after my last surgery of very painful...so I really scared to go under the knife again. It’s a catch 22...darned if I do and darned if I don't.

On April 18th, I go to talk to my surgeon and he wants me to bring all the op notes from all my surgeries. I know this is what you would call a surgery consult type of meeting so wish me the clear mind and luck if there is such a thing when dealing with medical challenges.:(

GJZH 04-16-2008 05:51 PM

Good luck with your appt...and please check back in to let us know what he advises...

Twinkletoes 04-16-2008 06:27 PM

You need your bulges hammered out, right? Maybe you should schedule an appt. with a body shop. I hear they're quicker and cheaper. :p J/K

Seriously though, I can understand your dread. Trading one pain for another is no bargain. Good thing you have Olhipie to look after you.

Let us know how the consult goes. I hope you find some encouragement! :hug:

tamiloo 04-17-2008 12:23 AM

Thank you so much for your notes of encouragement...love ya!!:hug:

bjb832 04-17-2008 11:12 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm new here,my MRI's show many bulging discs from C2 to L5 I'm thinking about ablation,has anyone had an experience they can share about having this treatment?

Thanks,
BJB

Angela1968 04-20-2008 09:34 PM

Abulation - Radio Refrequency

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjb832 (Post 260396)
Hi everyone,
I'm new here,my MRI's show many bulging discs from C2 to L5 I'm thinking about ablation,has anyone had an experience they can share about having this treatment?

Thanks,
BJB

Not sure if it is also called RF, Radio Frequnecy but I just call it nerve deadening shots. They heat up the nerves along the spine to deaden them so you do not feel pain. I had 3 nerves done and I was 90% better and only took one tramadol a day. I was able to exercise everything but my core. The pain relief lasted for 6 months but can last up to 18 months. I am soon to have another set of nerve shots and I look forward to it knowing it works. The 1-2 weeks after it was done the muscle spasms were pretty intense then at 4-6 weeks I felt pretty good.

Since Feb 2007 I have L4-5, SI two bulging discs and one has a small tear. I had had cervical 4-5,5-6 in 2006 fusion with plates which was a total success.

Angela 39

tamiloo 04-21-2008 11:54 AM

Wow...that sounds interesting Angela...

barbs 04-26-2008 08:57 PM

spinal fusion

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJZH (Post 259913)
Good luck with your appt...and please check back in to let us know what he advises...

can you tell me about the person that had the fusion thanks