NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MS and hot weather (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/51335-ms-hot-weather.html)

Jules A 08-03-2008 01:01 PM

MS and hot weather

Hi,
I'm looking for info re: MS and the heat. I've never had a problem with it before and am not sure if that is what is going on now. In addition to lethargy do you experience an actual spike in your body temp?

Two weeks ago I had a couple of days with a temp that would spike in the 102 range. With Ibupofen or Tylenol it would go down to 100. I felt like crap but after two days I felt better so I didn't go to the doc.

I am always a bit tired btw MS and working two jobs so I don't really think much of it.

Now the fever is back, ick. Last night it was up to 103. I will make a doctors appointment tomorrow now matter how good I feel. Maybe its a UTI? One would think I should know but other than urgency which I have all the time anyway I can't really say there is a difference. No respiratory or GI issues thankfully.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading this and I hope you feel good today. Jules

tovaxin_lab_rat 08-03-2008 01:12 PM

Look up Uhtoff's Syndrome. I occasionally will run a slight temp when I get overheated, it doesn't necessarily have to be hot outside, just my body core temp gets higher than normal.

You could have some sort of infection, UTI is probably the most common culprit.

I know that in my area of the country, there is a lot of flu/cold/sinus stuff going around because of the smoke/haze/pollen count being high. I've got a horrible cold right now and am being watched for a sinus infection.

Can't hurt to get it checked out. Some people do have UTI's that are not symptomatic for the first few days.

lady_express_44 08-03-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av8rgirl (Post 338248)
You could have some sort of infection, UTI is probably the most common culprit.

I agree with Cheryl, Jules.

Keep the fever in check until you can get in to see the doc.

Cherie

NurseNancy 08-03-2008 03:11 PM

i agree with the above too jules.
with MS even a rise of 1/2 degree can cause MS sx's.
i fever that high is indicative that something is going on.

you should be seen tomorrow. even just to give a urine sample and have it checked.

i agree with keeping on top of the fever. you might even need to take a TEPID shower to keep the fever down. drink plenty of fluids and stay hydrated.

i hope you feel better. please keep us posted.

SandyC 08-03-2008 03:32 PM

I agree with everyone else too. We are all so smart! Jim does run low grade fevers but they are of unknown origin. A temp as high as yours could be signaling something else. Usually heat wont cause that high of a temp unless your out in it for way too long.

I hope your better soon! :hug:

SallyC 08-03-2008 06:35 PM

Sheesh, Jules, 103 is a pretty high temp...Call Doc first thing in the morning and let's see what's going on..:eek:

In the meantime please rest and drink lots a water...OK...Take care..:hug:

Jules A 08-03-2008 06:51 PM

Thanks Gals, you are the best. Yes and knock wood the fatigue and aches which I'm attributing to the fever are the only symptoms nothing that screams MS. Even my old MS eyeballs are hanging in there, lol.

I'm calling the Doc tommorrow. :)

Bearygood 08-03-2008 06:58 PM

Aw, Jules. :hug: I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I hope it passes soon!

yeahbut 08-03-2008 07:18 PM

Jules - I hope you are feeling better - how is the temp tonight?

Jules A 08-03-2008 08:10 PM

Much better today, thanks for asking. Yesterday was the worst at 103 around 5:30pm and then back up to 102 around 2:30 am when I took a cool shower and some meds. Today it has stayed down around 100 with either Tylenol or Advil q 6 hours and compared to yesterday I feel much better.

Very similar pattern two weeks ago. Weird, maybe I'm allergic to weekends? :rolleyes: