NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Questions (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/213216-questions.html)

acvfalcon81 12-07-2014 06:18 PM

Questions

Slightly over 2 years ago I had a TBI. It was my 5th or 6th concussion. Well I moved and got a new neurologist. Upon reviewing my history he recommended I get a spinal tap, new mri, blood work, and ct scans to test for ms.

Symptoms since my head injury.
Mood swings
Constant headaches
Blurry vision. Usually associated with headaches but not always
Tinnitus
Dizzyness/slight loss of balance
Memory/concentration issues
Confusion

The last MRI I had also showed some white spots on the right side of the brain.

Not asking for a diagnosis but j ust wondering if anyone had anything similar to me prior to being diagnosed. I keep telling myself I dont have MS and the Dr just needs to rule it out.

SallyC 12-07-2014 08:43 PM

Welcome to you acyfalcon81. Nice to meet you. So sorry for your illness.

All of the sx you listed could be sx of MS, but there are other illnesses that
can mimic MS, so tests are necessary to rule out these other illnesses. Your
Neurologist should be able to do that for you. As of yet, there is no one test
that will prove an MS DX.

Stay with us and let us know what you and your Doc determine.:hug:

Erin524 12-08-2014 02:46 AM

I have MS, but I did have a lot of head injuries as a child. Kids in school bullied me, and they always seemed to aim for my head for some reason. Got knocked out several times in school.

Fell down skating once, gave myself a pretty bad concussion AND whiplash. That was bad.

Got hit in the head with the flat end of a hammer. (friend was digging in the dirt in front of me with the claw part of the hammer. Handle broke, hammer went flying towards my head. Flat part hit me)

No idea if the repeated whacks to the head contributed to me getting MS, but my dad and I were talking about head injuries and MS symptoms the other day. He said he wished that he'd realized that the kids in school were hitting me as often as they did. He's a retired nurse, and we both know the damage a head injury can cause. (my mom survived a contra-coup concussion when she was a teenager. She's got issues now because of it)

I wouldn't be surprised if the whacks to the head contributed to the MS. But, I'll probably never know, because they can't exactly cut into my head while I'm alive to see if they can tell if it's from damage from a head injury. I have an idea that the head injuries didn't help me any. (I'm going with the theory that MS is caused by more than one thing. viruses/infections/head injuries, a combination of more than one thing)

acvfalcon81 12-08-2014 02:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. Also one detail I forgot to mention is occasional "tingly" sensation in my right hand.

About 6 months or so ago, i had a really bad headache episode. Confusion and dizziness and numbness on the right half of my face and my hand were numb. Scary night for me

NurseNancy 12-08-2014 04:41 PM

hello and welcome to NT,

it can be difficult and time consuming to rule MS in or out.
symptoms for each person can be very different.

the important thing is that your dr is listening to you and looking for the right answer.
you might consider keeping what we call a sx (symptom) journal with dates and the sx's you have. bring it with you to your dr appts.

also, try to bring a friend or family member to your appt for a 2nd set of ears.

keep us posted.

acvfalcon81 12-08-2014 06:59 PM

My next appointment im taking my fiancee to my appointment. The past 2 days have been weird. The right side of my face and fingers keep getting tingly i guess you could say. Today was like a brain fog. Just floating through the afternoon, aware but unaware if that makes sense

Lumia_black 12-08-2014 09:37 PM

It could be all the head wacks. My mom got a concussion a couple of years ago and at PT(the same place I go) the PT lady had her walk and then turn her head left. My mom actually almost fell. Me and the PT lady had to catch her LOL>

So yes it could be all those head wacks....they could mimic some MS stuff.

acvfalcon81 12-10-2014 06:06 PM

Well I ended up in the hospital. Numbness in right hand food and face. Weakness in muscles on the right side as well as confusion. Docs only ruled out a heart attack. Stroke possible but not probable. Met with a resident neurologist and waiting to have main neurologist come check me out. Looks like they want an mri to see if theres more white spots an mri of my neck i guess, and a spinal.tap.

SallyC 12-10-2014 08:24 PM

Awwww {{{{acvfalcon81}}}}. I hope your unexpected stay, gets you all
of the answers and treatments you need to make you feel better soon.:)

acvfalcon81 12-11-2014 08:25 AM

Thanks. New mri and spinal tap are on the agenda today. Last night they gave me an anti seizure med so i have no idea what the neuro is thinking