NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Walmart vitamins, etc. any "good"? (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/48954-walmart-vitamins-etc.html)

dllfo 06-29-2008 11:35 PM

Walmart vitamins, etc. any "good"?

We have a new Super Walmart close by and we are wondering if they carry a good line of vitamins.

Obviously, to an extent, you get what you pay for, but most of us don't know who makes "good" vitamins and who packs "sawdust" in them.

We have been using Pharmacist Formula and Nature's Blend vitamins from the Commissary at the Air Force Base. The info on the container seems to be ok, but we don't really know.

mrsd would know .... I hope she is around. I don't mind paying more for vitamins, etc. but it is hard to know when you are getting your moneys worth. Our local Vitamin Shoppe is Elliott's. We heard they are not too reliable for quality, but once again.....who knows???????

Any info appreciated...mrsd gave me some good info a couple of specific pills, but we are looking for ...uh... a better idea of what brands are best, or whether the brands we are using are good.

mrsD 06-30-2008 04:46 AM

WalMart

has a great selection of supplements/vitamins and minerals.

I think their selection is better than most pharmacies.

When selecting a product look for GMP on the label...
this is a manufacturing quality guarantee.

For house brand issues, look on the label to see who makes it.
Perrigo is the largest and is high quality in USA. About 90% of
house brands are from Perrigo.

If you are looking for unusual things, like methylcobalamin etc,
www.iherb.com is the best.
Also for economy and quality Puritan's Pride is very good.
They are having their buy one get two free right now.
They have various sales at various times of the year.

I typically buy things from many places, since no one has everything.

From WalMart I get my generic SlowMag (MagDelay)...I special order it thru the pharmacy there.

momXseven 07-04-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsd (Post 312323)

From WalMart I get my generic SlowMag (MagDelay)...I special order it thru the pharmacy there.

I take SlowMag, do you know if the generic is a smaller tablet? I don't like the size of the SlowMag but in the past have found that most of the time the generics are larger pills.

SandyC 07-04-2008 10:28 AM

We use Walmart vitamins and so far no problems.

mrsD 07-04-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momXseven (Post 315574)
I take SlowMag, do you know if the generic is a smaller tablet? I don't like the size of the SlowMag but in the past have found that most of the time the generics are larger pills.

No the generics are about the same size. Typically sustained release products are larger, because of the matrix etc needed
to make them last longer.

Peter B 07-10-2008 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dllfo (Post 312262)
We have a new Super Walmart close by and we are wondering if they carry a good line of vitamins.

Obviously, to an extent, you get what you pay for, but most of us don't know who makes "good" vitamins and who packs "sawdust" in them.

We have been using Pharmacist Formula and Nature's Blend vitamins from the Commissary at the Air Force Base. The info on the container seems to be ok, but we don't really know.

mrsd would know .... I hope she is around. I don't mind paying more for vitamins, etc. but it is hard to know when you are getting your moneys worth. Our local Vitamin Shoppe is Elliott's. We heard they are not too reliable for quality, but once again.....who knows???????

Any info appreciated...mrsd gave me some good info a couple of specific pills, but we are looking for ...uh... a better idea of what brands are best, or whether the brands we are using are good.

My daughter has studied this very thing recently and offers this advice-look at these links.
http://search.lef.org/search/default.aspx?s=1&QUERY=b12

http://www.iherb.com/

Best brands are Life extension, and source naturals.

You need to take many times more than the recommended daily dose of the various things.
Some of the most popular brands are 2 or 3 times more expensive than the ones above, yet contain far less.

dllfo 07-10-2008 11:50 AM

Thank you for the links, I will take a look in a moment.

I just left Walmart and found their B vitamins have a problem. IF you buy the "Natural B" with 250 tablets (Bar Code numbers 0 78742 43575 6) it says 50mg of B1 is 3333% of "Daily Value"
(whatever THAT means -- (anything like Minimum Daily Dose Required?) --- anyway, if you pick up the B1 bottle, which I put back after talking to the Pharmacist (and I put back the Vitamin D because my Multi-Vitamin already covers me ... he said) -------- sorry, the B1
bottle says 250mg is 1667% of your % Daily Value. The other bottle says 50mg is 3333% !!!

SOMEONE is wrong. This is on their Spring Valley line.

Any experts care to comment? The Pharmacist said the 50mg is much more than I need anyway, so I grabbed it. Little does he know how far my mind has slipped the last couple of years.

SO -- for a 62 year old male in fair condition, thanks to Prednisone the last few weeks, I am up to 225 pounds.... do we have a "table" somewhere that gives us a list of what we need?

Let me restate that. It would be GREAT to have three tables side by side.

GOOD BETTER BEST

OR a website that tells us anything over 150mg of B1 is harmful to us, or it is passed out of our system through liquid or solid form. Thanks in advance, I know a few people on here would know about these things, but I hate to keep pestering them.....especially with my memory. I have read, read again and even read MRSD's post to me about the vitamins, etc. but I keep forgetting. Frustrating...