NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Update on DH (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/125909-update-dh.html)

azoyizes 06-25-2010 12:00 PM

Update on DH

Arnie had a new set of CT scans done, then we saw his oncologist. There is one nodule that has grown from 4 mm to 11 mm--triple in size. The oncologist recommended waiting two weeks, and then having another CT done.

Arnie told him that we wanted a second opinion. So, this week we got in to see a renal oncologist at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. He said basically what the other one did, but said he would rather start chemo as soon as possible.

Arnie has to have laser surgery on his eyes in two weeks, then after that he will begin chemo. The name of the drug is Sutent or Sunitinib. These are pills that he will take for four weeks, then have a two week break.

The bad news is that this type of cancer isn't curable, only manageable for a period of time. There are side effects, and if they get too bad then they can reduce the dosage. If Arnie decides that he doesn't want to spend the rest of his life on chemo, he will stop the meds. I am behind him 100%. I love him and certainly don't want him to die, but I also respect his judgement.

Just wanted to keep you updated.

SallyC 06-25-2010 12:15 PM

I hate the word incurable. :mad: Only God knows that for sure.

I will pray that Arnie lives the rest of his life, however long God chooses that to be, as strong, happy and as pain free as he can.:hug:

My best wishes for you too, Maryann.:hug:

legzzalot 06-25-2010 12:22 PM

Sweetie I cannot imagine what you guys are going through. I can only offer prayers and good wishes.

Grammie 2 3 06-25-2010 12:37 PM

I was thinking about you today as I went on the Tysabri thread wondering why you haven't been posting there. Then I saw the DH update ...:hug:
Sending a prayer as I type for you and your DH. My heart goes out to both of you.
Linda

Dejibo 06-25-2010 01:14 PM

hugs and prayers sweetie. :hug:

soxmom 06-25-2010 01:26 PM

sending prayers and good thoughts your way.:hug:

Twinkletoes 06-25-2010 01:30 PM

Awww, nuts, Azoyizes. I'm so sorry for the bad news. :(

The good news is that Arnie is well enough to participate in his treatment decisions, and that you are a great supporter. :hug:

Please give him some hugs from Twink, will you? :hug::hug::hug:

ewizabeth 06-25-2010 04:17 PM

Hugs and prayers going out for both of you. :hug: :hug:

kicker 06-25-2010 05:29 PM

Good thoughts and hugs to you.

karousel 06-25-2010 07:55 PM

:hug: So sorry for your bad news. I'm glad your DH has the strength from you to help him through this. You both will be in my thoughts. :hug: