NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   DIsability - Some Stats (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/84656-disability-stats.html)

BEGLET 04-18-2009 09:30 AM

DIsability - Some Stats

Just listening to the news - they were interviewing a man with MS who at this point doing ok but using wheelchair - and mentioned during course of interview that 51% of Americans would rather die then be disabled... this is very sad....... and maybe also explains why we get treated many times so poorly by government programs and uneducated folks in the general public...

People seem genuninely shocked that I can carry on an intelligent conversation with them from my wheelchair (no cracks here) - before I open my mouth I'm often addressed as a little child.... I know we all have degrees of PN - and prognosis - but trying to survive with the symtoms and public disgust at the same time really doesnt help eh...

I's say we're all a pretty tough group and just sending out a shout to all of you to just smile at fear and ignorance, and do your best every day :):

nide44 04-18-2009 10:14 AM

....People seem genuninely shocked that I can carry on an intelligent conversation with them from my wheelchair (no cracks here) - before I open my mouth I'm often addressed as a little child.....

Really?
I would think that with all the publicity that disabled vets and others (who is the physicist that can't even talk without the aid of a computerized voice-box?) that this was a thing of the past.
I have a son who became a quadriplegic 2-1/2 yrs ago thru an accident. He has a bachelor's degree in Fine Art, and was a metal sculptor. No one speaks to him in a condescending voice. Ever!

BEGLET 04-18-2009 11:04 AM

Re: Really

I have two degrees and was an exec before this disease took me down big time - until I get to talking with people etc. often they are quite naive and find people react to the chair etc in various manners - but I'm not just talking about me - I'm talking nation wide.... again, we are fighting an uphill battle with health and tons and tons of extra issues dealing continually with insurance etc. - this should not be the case:confused:

(I would think that with all the publicity that disabled vets and others (who is the that can't even talk without the aid of a computerized voice-box?) that this was a thing of the past.
I have a son who became a quadriplegic 2-1/2 yrs ago thru an accident. He has a bachelor's degree in Fine Art, and was a metal sculptor. No one speaks to him in a condescending voice. Ever!)

Kitt 04-18-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nide44 (Post 497858)

I would think that with all the publicity that disabled vets and others (who is the physicist that can't even talk without the aid of a computerized voice-box?) that this was a thing of the past. [/COLOR][/COLOR]

His name is Stephen Hawking if that is who you are thinking of.