NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MS-No Lesions? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/153352-ms-lesions.html)

Yorkieville 07-10-2011 12:45 PM

MS-No Lesions?

Has anyone been diagnosed with MS based on symptoms, ogliconal bands, back pain, bowel problems, but no brain or spinal lesions?

Chelle

Erin524 07-10-2011 01:33 PM

I was diagnosed mostly on symptoms. I did have a couple of lesions in my spine, but my doctor told me he would have diagnosed me with MS even without the MRI. He was just waiting for me to have another flare after the first one. (which my body conveniently came up with fairly quickly. 4 months after the first one. They just made me get an MRI to confirm stuff)

SallyC 07-10-2011 01:57 PM

They didn't have MRIs in the old days, so yes I was DXed by symptoms, process of elimination and a myelogram/LP.

Yorkieville 07-10-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin524 (Post 785327)
I was diagnosed mostly on symptoms. I did have a couple of lesions in my spine, but my doctor told me he would have diagnosed me with MS even without the MRI. He was just waiting for me to have another flare after the first one. (which my body conveniently came up with fairly quickly. 4 months after the first one. They just made me get an MRI to confirm stuff)

Thank you, Erin.

I am seeing a new Neurologist, and praying she believes in MS without visible lesions.

I have 2 ogliconal bands in my spinal fluid, and my former Neuro ruled out everything, and at first, said MS, then, decided he didn't want to "label" me with MS.

Chelle

Yorkieville 07-10-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 785333)
They didn't have MRIs in the old days, so yes I was DXed by symptoms, process of elimination and a myelogram/LP.

Thanks, Sally.

Neurosurgeon referred me to a different Neurologist that specializes in MS.

Praying I finally get a DX. Am getting to the point that I can no longer sit up or stand for very long.

Chelle

mochagirl13 07-11-2011 09:37 AM

1st dx from pharma rep

I have a friend who is a pharma rep who suggested MS when I complained of sx. Neuro did spinal tap & MRI before dx. I thought him being drup rep. that he was just pushing comp. line but I guess he did know what he was talking about.

Yorkieville 07-11-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mochagirl13 (Post 785518)
I have a friend who is a pharma rep who suggested MS when I complained of sx. Neuro did spinal tap & MRI before dx. I thought him being drup rep. that he was just pushing comp. line but I guess he did know what he was talking about.

mochagirl13,

Did you have lesions in your brain and on your spine?

Chelle

Snoopy 07-11-2011 01:49 PM

Hello Chelle,

Yes, I was diagnosed based on a positive LP (o-bands), neuro exam and symptoms. However, during the whole diagnostic process I was in a severe exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up)...it was very obvious something was wrong.

Depending on the lab that ran your LP results 2 o-bands can be considered normal, you will need to see what your Neurologist says to know for sure.

Best wishes :)

Yorkieville 07-11-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 785586)
Hello Chelle,

Yes, I was diagnosed based on a positive LP (o-bands), neuro exam and symptoms. However, during the whole diagnostic process I was in a severe exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up)...it was very obvious something was wrong.

Depending on the lab that ran your LP results 2 o-bands can be considered normal, you will need to see what your Neurologist says to know for sure.

Best wishes :)

Hi, Snoopy.

Originally, my former Neuro said "MS", and then, he retracted the DX. So, my Neurosurgeon has referred me to a new Neurologist, and I am just waiting for an appt.

Thank You,
Chelle

tkrik 07-11-2011 03:18 PM

Under the new McDonald Criteria, you would need to have at least 1 lesion to be dx with MS. (http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/DiagnosticCriteria.html) I was diagnosed under the 1st criteria. I have both brain and spinal lesions. I never had an LP so I don't know what my o bands are. However, o bands can occur in other conditions as well. It's the pattern of o bands that can assist in a dx of MS or other conditions.

But, MRI's are not 100% dependable. MRI's are done in 1/4" slices. Within that 1/4" a lesion may have been missed. I know that may sound scary to you but it does happen. I think many of us have experienced going for an MRI and getting the results and finding out that a few lesions are "gone" and on the next MRI they are back again. It's that 1/4" slice issue. Additionally, spinal lesions are very difficult to find not only due to the 1/4" slice but also due to all the things that are compacted in the spinal cord. They are easy to miss. Mine are in my thoracic spine. They show up best when I am in a flare and gadolinium is used.

Since your neuro took back his dx, he may have decided to be a little more conservative since at this point you don't fit the McDonald Criteria and there may be something else going.

I do hope you start feeling better soon and can find out what is going on.:hug::grouphug: