NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Epilepsy (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/)
-   -   EEG Changes (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/1913-eeg-changes.html)

Ellie 09-27-2006 08:26 PM

EEG Changes

I figured I may as well share this. All of my previous seizures showed on my EEG as being in my Right Frontal / Right Central Temporal Lobe. Some say "Spikes" some say "Sharp Waves" some say "Epileptiform Discharges" - some say all.

My most recent EEG says: Sharp waves and spikes were noticed at the Right Central and Right Parietal Lead. These activities were occasionally generalized.

And if you're savvy, I'll ask for a translation of this:

Background activity consisting of 8-9 cps of average voltage of 40-50 mV. alpha runs were noted in the occipitals. It responded to eye opening by blocking. The activity was symmetrical and rhythmical.

I don't know if the text above in bold is good or bad.

It also said:

Hyperventilation: Produced mild build up. (I think that's good)

Photic Stimulation: Produced mild driving response. (I'm not sure on that, I normally do bad on those but they word it better. This EEG testing room was fairly well lit, so I think I did ok for the strobe part).

--

I'm normall OK with reading my results, but this one used a different format that I am not very familiar with. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, my main reason in posting this was to ask if it is a concern that the areas are different now, or if that's common. I don't have a real diagnosis, to be honest. But they are sure I have Partial Complex Seizures; they rest is just random guessing. :P

Porkette 09-29-2006 05:32 PM

EEG Changes

Hi Ellie,
Take my word my eeg reading have changed over the yrs. When I first startted have sz. they were coming from the RTL where I would just have absence sz. I was 10 yrs. old when this started. 2 yrs. later I began having complex partial sz. along with absence sz. When I finally went in to have surgey done they did the depth electrode eeg and found I had brain damage on the RTL, frontal lobe, and the left hemisphere of the brain. The brain damage had spread because I had sz. so many time in a yr. and I was drug resistant this is what caused the brain damage. The more sz. the more brain damage I got. It's ashame it has to happen to people but I look at it this way I could be a lot worse off physically so if I can accept 34 yrs. of sz. after 2 brain surgeries others should also and if they don't they're the ones with the problem not me! Take care and May God Bless You!

Sue

KTM5665 09-29-2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkette (Post 16173)
Hi Ellie,
Take my word my eeg reading have changed over the yrs. When I first startted have sz. they were coming from the RTL where I would just have absence sz. I was 10 yrs. old when this started. 2 yrs. later I began having complex partial sz. along with absence sz. When I finally went in to have surgey done they did the depth electrode eeg and found I had brain damage on the RTL, frontal lobe, and the left hemisphere of the brain. The brain damage had spread because I had sz. so many time in a yr. and I was drug resistant this is what caused the brain damage. The more sz. the more brain damage I got. It's ashame it has to happen to people but I look at it this way I could be a lot worse off physically so if I can accept 34 yrs. of sz. after 2 brain surgeries others should also and if they don't they're the ones with the problem not me! Take care and May God Bless You!

Sue

what a blessed outlook

Ellie 09-29-2006 06:12 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I wasn't sure if I should worry or not, my Neurologist told me when she got it, "It's like I expected, about the same". I called and asked for a copy from the EEG Center and when I compared them, they are not the same at all.

I called my Neurologist again and left a message for her to call me back (once due to a seizure that put me down a few days, and then once to discuss my EEG). She never called me back. :(

I always have so much better luck asking kind people like you all rather than waiting on a call!

Thanks again, I feel better now.

mercy 10-01-2006 08:14 AM

http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Cli...is/eegcrs.html
This is a link that you could use to help you interpret your EEG. It has a lot of good information on it. Some people have seizures starting in more parts of their brain over time. Read about kindling if this subject interests you.
mercy

Ellie 10-01-2006 12:13 PM

What a great link, thank you so much. This is exactly what I have been wanting!