NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   acetyl carnitine increase slowly? (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/101376-acetyl-carnitine-increase-slowly.html)

Marty SLC 08-26-2009 12:15 PM

acetyl carnitine increase slowly?

Does one need to increase the dosage of acetyl carnitine slowly? Does it upset the gut?

mrsD 08-26-2009 12:22 PM

In the references, the high doses of l-carnitine are claimed to possibly upset the stomach.

Not all of the carnitine is absorbed, some remains behind and can cause loose stools.

The acetyl form is better absorbed but not 100% either.
I always suggest taking acetyl or regular carnitine in divided doses during the day. And I would not increase past 2 grams eventually, unless you work out alot. Body builders take high doses.

Also if you increase too quickly, you may pass a dose that would have worked that was lower. You don't want to take alot if you don't "have to". I'd stay at about 1 gram for about a month to give it a chance to work, and if that doesn't, then go up to 1.5 gram, or eventually to 2 gram.

Marty SLC 08-26-2009 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Opps, it is acetyl L carnitine. I'm 1mg of it split up in 3 doses.

My vitamins are still causing my really loose stools so I'm trying to figure out what causing it. I'm only taking 100mg of citrate mag in water and I drink it sloooowly. Like 8 hours slow. LOL I attached my vitamin list but others here don't know so I'm just saying it's a suppliment regimen for peripial neuropathy. Thanks!

mrsD 08-27-2009 07:36 AM

I think you mean 1 gram acetyl carnitine?

Try this. Cut back to 500mg of acetyl carnitine daily.
And cut back to one fish oil daily. (some people get loose on fish oil-- if they do not absorb it well)

If you still have loose stools, it might be the magnesium type you are using. If you are mismeasuring it? Citrate form is the type used in laxatives. So switching to a delayed release form tablet may be easier on you. People vary in the response to magnesium. I like the Mag64 myself.
I am very sensitive to mag myself. So I use almonds as a snack daily to get mine usually. I only take supplements when I have stresses like working out, or more exercise than usual.

Marty SLC 08-27-2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 559545)
I think you mean 1 gram acetyl carnitine?

Try this. Cut back to 500mg of acetyl carnitine daily.
And cut back to one fish oil daily. (some people get loose on fish oil-- if they do not absorb it well)

If you still have loose stools, it might be the magnesium type you are using. If you are mismeasuring it? Citrate form is the type used in laxatives. So switching to a delayed release form tablet may be easier on you. People vary in the response to magnesium. I like the Mag64 myself.
I am very sensitive to mag myself. So I use almonds as a snack daily to get mine usually. I only take supplements when I have stresses like working out, or more exercise than usual.

Yes I meant 1 gram acetyl carnitine. I'll try that, Thanks!!