NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Adverse reaction to EMG (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/210343-adverse-reaction-emg.html)

Hannajane 10-01-2014 01:39 PM

Adverse reaction to EMG

My pain clinic dr wanted me to have an EMG and QSART test to confirm suspected RSD in my wrist. Every dr I have says they think it's what's going on. Anyways, last Tuesday I went for the EMG. The pain was horrendous! One of the needles that they stuck into my should was excruciating. I cried and screams and the pain has never left. It's as if it set off a fire of pain in my shoulder. I have never had any shoulder pain. That night I creid and cried trying to find a way to calm the pain. Since then it's eased up some but is by far from normal and barely tolerable. Has anyone else had a problem with the EMG test? No one mentioned any "risks" of the test.....had I known this I would have never agreed to it.

RSDcandice 10-01-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannajane (Post 1100496)
My pain clinic dr wanted me to have an EMG and QSART test to confirm suspected RSD in my wrist. Every dr I have says they think it's what's going on. Anyways, last Tuesday I went for the EMG. The pain was horrendous! One of the needles that they stuck into my should was excruciating. I cried and screams and the pain has never left. It's as if it set off a fire of pain in my shoulder. I have never had any shoulder pain. That night I creid and cried trying to find a way to calm the pain. Since then it's eased up some but is by far from normal and barely tolerable. Has anyone else had a problem with the EMG test? No one mentioned any "risks" of the test.....had I known this I would have never agreed to it.

When they did my EMG it was the same way. I had so much pain during and after it was ridiculous. I actually get a small stabbing pain in those areas still. not always but its there. I also wish the mentioned any risks... :( Good luck wish i had more advice. my doctors still dont believe me that i have that pain or that it hurt that bad either :(

Hannajane 10-01-2014 07:31 PM

The dr that did the test won't even call me back...his nurse did and said he said the test couldn't have triggered it.....I KNOW it did! I went from zero pain to beyond a ten in a flash!

Phaedra 10-01-2014 07:52 PM

You are absolutely correct. They are awful and painful. The next few days will probably not be any better. Sorry to say this to you. I am only telling you because it is what happened to me too. It does trigger a flair up. I cried too during and after.

Hannajane 10-01-2014 08:18 PM

I'm so angry! If they had told me there was even a chance of this happening I NEVER would have agreed to it. :(

ShaggyChic_1201 10-07-2014 08:47 PM

OMG I so agree

ME TOO! ME TOO!
Will never do another.

Hannajane 10-08-2014 06:56 AM

It's been three weeks and I still have that awful burning fire in my shoulder... My pcp said I'm correct in thinking the test triggered it. I was going to get a glue shot but am now scared to get an injection for fear of the rsd.

Russell 10-08-2014 06:57 AM

It hurt me too! A needed test but not again!

LIT LOVE 10-08-2014 10:13 AM

Do you have any Lidocaine patches? It's good to have them on hand for spread to new areas. Lidocaine cream works as well and is less expensive. I'd suggest taking Epsom Salt baths every day and perhaps try Epsom Salt cream.

Hannajane 10-10-2014 12:25 PM

I don't really have any meds or anything to help with the pain. I did try to epsom salt bath..,.i wish I could live in there! Thank you for the recommendation!

I had a qsart test two days ago and told the tech the band was too tight but she wouldn't losen it...my wrist has been very swollen ever since and more painful. I am refusing any further testing.....I'm in enough pain and all their tests are doing is hurt me further