NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Another graduation down! (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/45425-graduation.html)

Riverwild 05-10-2008 10:37 PM

Another graduation down!

PHEW!

I spent the day at my delightful neice's graduation. The lil darling never told us she was "Summa Cum Laude" What a girl!

The University of Maine at Orono graduated the largest graduating class in their 200+ year history. There were over 1000 graduates and the ceremonies were split into two separate ceremonies, morning and afternoon. so they could accomodate everyone.

I got there before noon, hiked a mile to the arena where the graduation was held from where they made us park, the ceremonies started at 2:30 pm and lasted until 5:30. Had dinner with the family afterwards and then drove home ( 1 hr +). The delightful niece got me a VIP seat on the floor, so no bleachers for me TYVM!

Long lonnnnng day but worth every spastic minute!

This kid's parents left her on her own at 13 and she has done it ALL on her own. She lived with me for a time and with my younger brother, but her whole high school and college experience was self directed and she is still at it! Her parents did show up today. I was expecting them to take credit for all her hard work and was ready to sock them both, but they behaved :mad:

AfterMyNap 05-10-2008 10:39 PM

Fantastic! What a great story. Isn't it great to know that determination and hard work really do pay off in the end? Kudos, kid!

And kudos to the Auntie who gave her a leg up!

Kitty 05-11-2008 06:18 AM

That's so wonderful, RW! You should be proud - and she will never forget her Aunt who was there for her when she needed her. :)

yeahbut 05-11-2008 08:03 AM

I know how proud you are of her which you have every right to be!! Glad you had such a wonderful day. Great Job for your neice!!

Risby 05-11-2008 08:48 AM

Congratulations!!

From the relative of one "summa" to another..Congratulations to your niece. :yahoo:
My DD graduated Friday also summa and i know how difficult this is to achieve.
She sounds like a determined, amazing young women.

SandyC 05-11-2008 10:45 AM

From one summa to another, congratualations! How proud you must be!

Taffy 05-11-2008 10:49 AM

Kewl!!!!!!

Riverwild 05-11-2008 01:37 PM

Thanks everyone, but it was all her.

She did it all.

She lived alone after her parents split when she was 13. They literally left her the house and moved. She didn't call for help, she didn't tell anyone, she just kept living her life, working and paying for the electric and groceries and doing her homework. When her parents stopped paying the mortgage and the house was gone, she told us what was going on and moved here. She demanded a waiver from the school district when she moved here because they didn't have the classes she needed, and went to another school. She got her license and a car on her own as soon as she was legally able to. She worked all through high school and college. She got the highest grades to qualify for the scholarships. She kept getting the grades to maintain and increase them. She managed all this and volunteered in her "?spare?" time. She also participated in sports and maintained a 'mostly:p' healthy lifestyle. ( she does know the "Maine Stein Song" by heart and can sing the whole thing at the drop of a bottle :D"

I am in awe of this kid and what she has done. I told her yesterday that it was a privilege and an honor to be her aunt and to share this with her and it is. I told her she was my idol and she is. I told her how damned proud her grandmother would have been and how much she reminded me of her ( my mom). I told her I loved her and gave her $100.00 and a cake! I wish it could have been more!

I just cannot wait to see where she goes and what she does next!

yeahbut 05-11-2008 03:35 PM

OMG Riverwild, you brought tears to my eyes..... you have every right to be proud. I am too! What a life she has lived but as sad as it there are so many children that do the same.... scary isn't it?

DM 05-11-2008 03:46 PM

Thank you for telling us about your niece, RW. I love to hear stories about kid's who weren't handed everything in sight, yet made their mark. That gal's gonna go places. Her determination has and will continue to pay off.

You've every right to be burstin w/pride. Congrats.