NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   post concussion headaches 4 months later (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/208922-post-concussion-headaches-4-months.html)

hockeymom1998 09-02-2014 06:07 PM

post concussion headaches 4 months later

hello
my 16 year old son hit the side of his head into the boards may 9/14. he has had a constant headache ever since. with exercise or reading his low grade squeezing headache turns into a full out migraine. He somewhat rested after the hit - but not totally. it is his first concussion so did not know the severity. he worked out hard in the summer and now the doctor has put him on complete rest. we have tried chiro, accupunture, hyperbaric oxygen nothing makes a difference.
1. at this point is exercise going to hurt him?
2. will the headache ever just go away?
3. has anyone tried gyrostim for headaches?

Eowyn 09-02-2014 07:38 PM

Have you tried any headache preventive medications?

Mark in Idaho 09-02-2014 07:48 PM

hockeymom1998,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

Your son's experience is not uncommon. I bet he has had other dingers that he just skated off. With this one, I suspect he has also injured his neck. Most chiros are too aggressive with upper necks. Your son's aggressive working out during the summer has not been helpful to his recovery.

I have twice had concussions with head aches that were chronic for 6 months or more. The last time, I learned how to relax and use ice to reduce the intensity.

Anything that causes his head ache to increase should be avoided. It is his body telling him to slow down.

If he is exercising to stay in shape for hockey season, his recovery should be his first priority. If he can not get control of his head aches, returning to hockey may be the least of his concerns. If his reading causes them to increase, his academic performance will be impacted.

My best to you both.

SarahSmile0205 09-03-2014 11:03 AM

Has he been on any meds for the headaches?

I am 7 months in and still have daily headaches... my stress level is one of my main triggers and it was not until I was stress free for a week that I realized it...

I also assume he has had the normal MRI and neuropsych tests? what did those reveal?

I love my chiro and my soft tissue massage person... they have helped a lot...

Mokey 09-03-2014 11:47 AM

He needs to get his vision assessed by a neuro opthamologist. Check the vision links in this group.
Good luck!
Rest and courage to your son.

hockeymom1998 09-04-2014 05:45 PM

hi mark
he probably has hit his head before but we have never been aware of it and he has never had lasting headaches like this.
he is not working out at all anymore. he is on complete rest and only doing one class at school. this is not making his headaches any different, yet

hockeymom1998 09-04-2014 05:47 PM

he has had standard vision test 20/20 and pupils dialated showed nothing

hockeymom1998 09-04-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1093712)
hockeymom1998,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

Your son's experience is not uncommon. I bet he has had other dingers that he just skated off. With this one, I suspect he has also injured his neck. Most chiros are too aggressive with upper necks. Your son's aggressive working out during the summer has not been helpful to his recovery.

I have twice had concussions with head aches that were chronic for 6 months or more. The last time, I learned how to relax and use ice to reduce the intensity.

Anything that causes his head ache to increase should be avoided. It is his body telling him to slow down.

If he is exercising to stay in shape for hockey season, his recovery should be his first priority. If he can not get control of his head aches, returning to hockey may be the least of his concerns. If his reading causes them to increase, his academic performance will be impacted.

My best to you both.

he is no longer working out. he was drafted and needed to be ready for camp. now he is not playing at all. he is down to one class a day. will the headache ever go away??

hockeymom1998 09-04-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahSmile0205 (Post 1093817)
Has he been on any meds for the headaches?

I am 7 months in and still have daily headaches... my stress level is one of my main triggers and it was not until I was stress free for a week that I realized it...

I also assume he has had the normal MRI and neuropsych tests? what did those reveal?

I love my chiro and my soft tissue massage person... they have helped a lot...

mri - was clear
only advil when pain is really bad

SarahSmile0205 09-04-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymom1998 (Post 1094116)
mri - was clear
only advil when pain is really bad

Has he seen neurologist? if not, i would go ahead and make an apt with one... it may take a few weeks to get in but this may help... the neuro could order a neuropsych and some meds to try and combat the headaches... If you are like me you don't want to put your kids on drugs unless necessary... this may be one of those necessary times.. I personally hate taking drugs that don't work but I have had a headache of varying degrees since January 12th...I will try anything to make it go away!