NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   TENS Unit (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/147183-tens-unit.html)

frenchfri1003 03-23-2011 06:41 PM

TENS Unit

Hi, just wondering if anyone has ever used a TENS unit. The PT suggested that I get a script for one from my OSS. I had a 2 level ACDF on 12/9/2010. I still get major neck and shoulder pain, knots and spasms. I have been on the computer alot of work. I am a teacher and tend to look down quite a bit or turn very quickly. My ROM has increased, but my strength is still quite poor. I use the cervical stim 4 hours a day. I went back to work on 2/14/2011 and started PT on 2/21/2011. I still have some swallowing issues, not major. Has anyone used the TENS for pain? How did is work? Was it worth it? Thanks for your responses.

Jomar 03-23-2011 07:10 PM

My dad uses a TENS quite often for his DDD pain.
It basically helps to block or intercept the pain signal.

aussiemom 03-23-2011 07:22 PM

I love mine! I can get up to 8 electrodes on it. The only downsides are what to do with the wires in the ladies room! You may be able to do a search here to see other rsponses.

Dubious 03-23-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 (Post 755740)
Hi, just wondering if anyone has ever used a TENS unit. The PT suggested that I get a script for one from my OSS. I had a 2 level ACDF on 12/9/2010. I still get major neck and shoulder pain, knots and spasms. I have been on the computer alot of work. I am a teacher and tend to look down quite a bit or turn very quickly. My ROM has increased, but my strength is still quite poor. I use the cervical stim 4 hours a day. I went back to work on 2/14/2011 and started PT on 2/21/2011. I still have some swallowing issues, not major. Has anyone used the TENS for pain? How did is work? Was it worth it? Thanks for your responses.

They are good! Just be aware that they list for around $49. Before you grab one from your PT or whomever, ask what they are charging you!

frenchfri1003 04-03-2011 10:31 AM

Tens unit / pt

Still no script from my OSS. I keep leaving messages and don't get a reply. Getting annoyed. My insurance company has also denied additional PT. I had 12 sessions, got 2 more (LOL) now no more. Very frustrated. Any suggestions.

Dubious 04-03-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 (Post 758716)
Still no script from my OSS. I keep leaving messages and don't get a reply. Getting annoyed. My insurance company has also denied additional PT. I had 12 sessions, got 2 more (LOL) now no more. Very frustrated. Any suggestions.

Unfortunately, PT limits are limits. You could pay for 1 out of pocket to get a home exercise program established. Are you WC? Not that that matters much but the rules are different.

As far as a TENS unit is concerned, yu can still get one cheap. There are ways...

Jomar 04-03-2011 10:45 PM

It looks like a Dr's signature isn't even needed anymore to buy a TENS or other stims online - here's an overview of some prices/models -
http://www.google.com/search?q=TENS&...=shop%3A1&aq=f

I bought an EMS stim years ago and did not need any dr approval.

frenchfri1003 04-04-2011 05:40 AM

PT TENS unit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubious (Post 758881)
Unfortunately, PT limits are limits. You could pay for 1 out of pocket to get a home exercise program established. Are you WC? Not that that matters much but the rules are different.

As far as a TENS unit is concerned, yu can still get one cheap. There are ways...

Not sure what WC is, so I guess not. My brother in law broke his wrist around the same time I had my surgery and he had so much more PT without an issue. Not sure if it is my insurance to the PT location with the way they are writing up the reports. I have some at home exercises that I do now, but not enough to really increase my upper body strength. Paying out of pocket is expensive and I do not understand why I am having such a hard time. Prior to surgery it was never an issue. As far as the TENS unit, it would be covered 100% with the script. So I will just have to stop by the OSS office rather than call.
Thanks for your words of encouragement and advice.

Dr. Smith 04-04-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 (Post 758922)
Not sure what WC is, so I guess not.

Workers' Compensation.

Quote:

My brother in law broke his wrist around the same time I had my surgery and he had so much more PT without an issue.
Different injury - different treatment.

linda_sd02 04-04-2011 04:25 PM

TENS unit

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 (Post 755740)

My husband has had a TENS unit from the VA for years. He had surgery on his foot, so hasn't used it for a while, but he says he received good relief. I had gotten it out the other day, as a matter of fact, to use it for my L4, L5 discs, and sciatic nerve pain. He just put it back on me-- two electrodes, anyway. (I had torn it up a bit when I was wearing it at a meeting and the unit, I guess, turned waaayyyy up!!!!:eek: I was up jumping around like a mad women, saying "Take it off, take it off!!" and pulling at the wires":Help:) I haven't used it since, until I read your post and thought I would give it another try. It's buzzing away now, though, and it is, at least, a distraction from the pain.

My sister is on Medicare due to SS disability was able to get an internal unit and she gets very good results. It really does block the nerves. She and I have just about the same neuro hx and sx, which leads us to believe that some of our problems are genetic, especially looking back at our father.

Good luck with your tens. I think you can be optimistc about getting some relief. I imagine you're very active with your teaching! God bless you for your contribution to our society and the physical struggles you have. :Good-Luck: Linda