NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Injury to CRPS area (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/217937-injury-crps.html)

Enna70 03-25-2015 12:05 PM

Injury to CRPS area

Hey all, I have a question about injury to the CRPS area....I know if I stub my toe it hurt like a son of a ....mole troll:D, but this is new to me....
Today I foolishly cut my thumb trying to remove a tag...I couldn't remember where I placed my scissors but found my switch blade instead and stupidly thought, lemme use this...and not with my dominate hand either :rolleyes:.
Needless to say, I didn't even realize I had a small, 1/4 inch slice on my thumb. It bled a little;...well,
With out the hot/stinging....my thumb does't bend well, swollen and my fingers are that shinny when I'm about to spasm. Nothing major....just curious and asking if anyone else has experienced weirdness to their CRPS area when an injury occurs....thanks.....

Littlepaw 03-25-2015 04:33 PM

Poop! :eek:

Hit the Vit C if you don't already take it. 500mg a day. I'd keep that up at least a week. Vit C does have a role in collagen production in case you overproduce but I wouldn't think a week would hurt any. It's recommended post-op to reduce CRPS incidence.

Littlepaw :hug:

LIT LOVE 03-25-2015 07:58 PM

I always put Lidocaine patches on whenever I have a have a new injury, and it seem to prevent spread.

CRPSsongbird 03-25-2015 08:23 PM

awesome advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 1131896)
I always put Lidocaine patches on whenever I have a have a new injury, and it seem to prevent spread.

When I had patches, I used to put it on the nerves that flowed down into the affected limb (when it was just my arm) when I started feeling a flare up starting. I think we ALL have open little"tells" of one coming on!! And it helped immensely! However my insurance decided since I don't have "Post-Herpatic Neuropathy" I don't need the patches..... So I no longer have that option...great. if you have them or can get then.....they rock!

Good advice LitLove :)

LIT LOVE 03-25-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRPSsongbird (Post 1131901)
When I had patches, I used to put it on the nerves that flowed down into the affected limb (when it was just my arm) when I started feeling a flare up starting. I think we ALL have open little"tells" of one coming on!! And it helped immensely! However my insurance decided since I don't have "Post-Herpatic Neuropathy" I don't need the patches..... So I no longer have that option...great. if you have them or can get then.....they rock!

Good advice LitLove :)

Lidocaine cream is inexpensive, so if that's the only option to have in, in case of emergency, I'd recommend it as well. ;)

gigicnm 03-26-2015 07:39 PM

Try goodrx.com for prices on medications. Right now they have a coupon for lidoderm patches and they also list pharmacies with the cheapest prices. It's amazing how much you can save by shopping around a little. I have an issue with workman's comp covering my medications so I've been forced to pay out of pocket. I've become an expert at finding the best price on prescriptions.

Enna70 03-26-2015 08:00 PM

Hey thanks so much for this; I've been made to think I'm weird for 'shopping' around for medication....but I don't have that coverage so I need the best price in my budget.....:cool:

Up date...the pain went up to my shoulder and into my jaw....but no flare, just edema....today it's hard to type with my thumb but back to regular chronic stuff....

CRPSsongbird 03-26-2015 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enna70 (Post 1132119)
Hey thanks so much for this; I've been made to think I'm weird for 'shopping' around for medication....but I don't have that coverage so I need the best price in my budget.....:cool:

Up date...the pain went up to my shoulder and into my jaw....but no flare, just edema....today it's hard to type with my thumb but back to regular chronic stuff....

Believe me I understand not having insurance!! I spent almost one year after being diagnosed with crps, without insurance! Between office visits and medication costs I very nearly became homeless!!

Enna70 03-27-2015 10:02 AM

You poor thing....yeah, I went from full coverage to minimum and it's hard. I recently got ripped off by an apothecary...so hugs and keep up the fight; no matter what it is....:grouphug:

CRPSsongbird 03-31-2015 12:49 AM

I sure hate humans as aspecies sometimes!!