NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Gabapentin to lyrica???? (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/47844-gabapentin-lyrica.html)

soxmom 06-13-2008 07:07 AM

Gabapentin to lyrica????

Has anyone switched from gabapentin to lyrica???? I take 600mg 3xday
and the doc wants me to just switch to lyrica 150 mg 3xday.

Will I have withdrawels???? Ive been on Gabapentin for 3 years.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Tia:)

sassy 06-13-2008 07:13 AM

I have a friend with MS that made the change. She is happy with it and she never talked about withdrawals but she did talk about an increase in appetite at first but has that under control now.

Carolina 06-17-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxmom (Post 300020)
Has anyone switched from gabapentin to lyrica???? I take 600mg 3xday
and the doc wants me to just switch to lyrica 150 mg 3xday.

Will I have withdrawels???? Ive been on Gabapentin for 3 years.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Tia:)

I have been on gabapentin for about eight years. My last dose was 4,800 mg/day. Recently, i switched to the same dose of lyrica as you.

I had no problems whatsoever switching or switching back (couldn't take lyrica).

I cut down on the gabapentin by one-half for 3-4 days. then cut down by 1/2 again while taking one-half of the lyrica at the same time. then, the week I was off of gabapentin altogether was the week i started lyrica full strength.

When I went off of the lyrica, I went off of it quicker than i started it and started back on the gabapentin at 1600mgs/day until i get to the full dosage in a couple of weeks.

good luck to you.

henryb 06-18-2008 06:28 PM

last dose was 4800 mgs.
was this dosage given by a doctor?

Carolina 06-18-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henryb (Post 304263)
last dose was 4800 mgs.
was this dosage given by a doctor?

yes, of course.

ali12 06-27-2008 01:24 PM

Hi...

I have been on both Gabapentin and Lyrica - I didn't have any problems what so ever coming off the Gabapentin but when I came off the Lyrica I had withdrawal symptoms, these included difficulty breathing, mood swings, vomiting etc. I guess everyone's different
Good luck!!

DENNIS46 07-01-2008 12:25 AM

Hello

Hi Soxmom,
I swithced from the same doses as you to the same Lyrica. It seemed to be helping a lot for my Fibromyalgia. Main side affects were very sleepy and no sexual drive at ALL. (ED). Took me off it and put me on Depakote. Not working as well. Still very sleepy, but other problem fixed.
Take care,
Dennis

soxmom 07-01-2008 07:08 AM

I just wanted to let anyone who is interested in this an update. about
a week after switching, I got a cold and with it I felt like I couldnt catch
'my breath and wanted to sleep all day.:( I realized its the same way
I felt when I ran out of gabapentin this past Dec and had to wait over
the holiday to refill. the cold went away but I remained so sick. It
was withdrawel symptoms from stopping Gaba.:(:mad:

I started taking a small dose and all was well with my world. So now I
know......no matter what Ive got to slowly wean off the neurontin.

lesson learned......

mysteriousstar 08-15-2008 06:59 PM

i went off the gabapentin and on to lyrica. the lyrica works so much better, with no side effects and i works. i was taking 3 high dose meds for my fibromyalgia and sleeplessness and went on 100mg 2xday of lyrica and been fine.. no side effects at all. i even lost some weight with it. a few people i know that take it are fine with it too. so i don't know it is different for everyone

Idealist 08-16-2008 08:28 PM

I made pretty much the same switch as you are, and I can't recall any withdrawal symptoms, although I took gabapentin for two years. But I never did see where either one of them helped me much, so I now I don't take either. But I do have a friend who experienced an amazing improvement when she started using lyrica, so maybe you'll be lucky like her. I sure hope so. :)