NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Physical Therapy-Do or Do not? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/174402-physical-therapy.html)

new2net98 08-06-2012 08:39 PM

Physical Therapy-Do or Do not?

Would like to find out if physical therapy has helped anyone. I am being sent to be evaluated to help with core stregnth of upper body (arms & hands) and also for balance issues. I didn't really think this is necessary but I am being told that since the pattern we are noticing is that currently my body is on a three week pattern; we should take this step to keep what I have & try to enhance it, so I don't lose it later.

What types of physical therapy are out there that won't wear me out or make tempurature issues? Did anything help for balance issues? Inquiring minds would like to know~! :Dunno:

Erin524 08-06-2012 11:29 PM

do it!

I think PT does a lot. I've done several rounds of PT. It takes a couple of weeks to notice it helping, but it really does help in my opinion.

I'm about to beg my physiatrist for some more PT. I have a new flare affecting my hands. I need my hands to crochet, knit and type. Can hardly type right now, and I cant crochet or knit at all right now. I want to get back to crocheting soon. hope my flare stops soon so I can crochet again. I really miss it. flares are so boring. I need something to do.

yeti 08-07-2012 08:34 AM

After my first major attack of MAJOR vertigo I went through over 6 months of physical therapy to retrain my balance and eyesight. Prior to that, I had been flat on my back in bed for 6 months. I credit physical therapy with giving me (most of) my life back. Without it I don't think I would have ever gotten out of bed again. I am close to normal now. Not quite normal, but pretty good. My scores on the weird machine with the moving floor went from 16% to 80% over 6 months.

Snoopy 08-07-2012 09:20 AM

Hi new2net98,

I strongly believe in PT as well as exercise. The issue of heat can be dealt with afterwards with a cool shower.

From the begining this disease has affected my mobility. When I was diagnosed my neuro told me the best thing I could do is Walk. I looked at him like he was crazy since I was in a severe exacerbation and moving, let alone walking, was very difficult.

Every relapse I have had (5) has affected mobility. Walking, as well as PT, has allowed me to regain what I would lose due to the exacerbation.

Everyone with this disease can exercise. Each person has different abilities and limits and exercise will vary depending on the persons capabilities.

Depending on the damage this disease has done you can get to a point where signals are not getting through and exercise is not helping to rebuild strength and muscle.

You can use it or lose it but you won't you will not know if PT is beneficial to you unless you try. PT is a great starting point in learning how to exercise with this disease.

Snoopy 08-07-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeti (Post 903904)
My scores on the weird machine with the moving floor went from 16% to 80% over 6 months.

Treadmill?

yeti 08-07-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 903917)
Treadmill?

No, it was one of these. When I started I had the worst score the PT had ever seen (16%), and she specializes in balance problems. I worked it up to 80%, but could never really get above that point.

ANNagain 08-07-2012 02:07 PM

I had 2 sets of PT last year. It helped me w balance, gait, a slight R foot drop, and falling. I was falling because every so often my L leg crosses over and trips the R one.

The best thing I got from it was walking confidence and endurance. I got to the bus stop at the end of my street several times and the bus would have just left. Not wanting to be late, I walked to PT past 3 more bus stops fairly close together. By the time I got to PT, all of my gait and other problems were showing which helped them.

After PT, I walked home. I always walk home from "up street." By the end of PT I was walking both ways by choice. All of the problems I was sent for were mostly better or gone.

ANN

Erin524 08-07-2012 04:22 PM

Until I can get to the physiatrist next week,I'm doing exercises at my computer desk while reading.

I just upgraded my computer so I can use the dictation software To post to the forums while I'm exercising (I have an Apple computer. They just came out with the new operating system)

The dictation leaves something to be desired like punctuation, But at least I can "type" things and have it come out readable.

Right now I'm walking in place in front of my computer while talking to my computer to tell it what to say. Moving around makes me feel a little bit better. I can't wait to get the new prescription for physical therapy next week though. I'm really hoping It'll help.

new2net98 08-09-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeti (Post 903931)
No, it was one of these. When I started I had the worst score the PT had ever seen (16%), and she specializes in balance problems. I worked it up to 80%, but could never really get above that point.

Looked at this apparatus...do they design them for ultimate torture capabilities or what?? LOL...renaming this the rack! Looks like it would be ok for bungy jumping though. Just a lil humor; halfway to canceling this appt. Walking still working...when I feel up to it; been pretty hot here. Only thing that makes it difficult is the gravel, pinecones, etc on the road or the dang neighborhood dogs. :D

Worried mostly because symptoms are on the downside to the pattern, so, am worried that I will somehow "fail" the initial evaluation & score lower than what I am typically able to accomplish.

It isn't in me to accept less than what I am capable of doing. Is life interesting yet??? Too funny~

SallyC 08-09-2012 11:16 PM

My short answer, cause I'm going to bed now, is Absolutely!!!!:hug: