NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   A Scary Situation Turned Out Fine (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/19611-scary-situation-fine.html)

GregD 05-14-2007 09:26 AM

A Scary Situation Turned Out Fine

Last evening my wife, daughter and I decided to go out for some ice cream. We went to this little out of the way ice cream shop. We went there because we knew it wouldn’t be very busy on a Sunday evening. We got our ice cream and were enjoying ourselves when the door burst open. This black guy (or should I say African American) came in waving a knife demanding our money.
I have often thought about what I would do if I needed to defend my family or myself since getting PD. I knew if I took any action it would have to be quick. I also knew that it could put my family in further danger. The guy got to where we were sitting. I just couldn’t sit there and take it.
Being trained in self-defense, Aikido from when I worked in the state prison system, I felt confident that I could subdue this nut with little problem but was my body up to it? I had been having a good day with the meds working well for a change. The opportunity presented itself. I made my move. I disarmed him. Then moved in and took him to the ground face first where I held him with little effort until the police arrived.
At this point in life it’s good to know that I can still defend myself if needed.

GregD

paula_w 05-14-2007 09:49 AM

wow

How long did you have to hold him down? Good for you! He obviously chose the wrong place to rob. What an experience!

paula

jeanb 05-14-2007 10:12 AM

WOw!!!

greg - That's incredible & amazing! Well done!!

jean

Curious 05-14-2007 10:17 AM

:winner_first_h4h: awesome greg! on old bf and i were victims of a car jacking. the guy had been shot and held a gun on me. bf was a black belt in amercian karate. he saved us both.

can i call you next time i go out for ice cream? :icecream:

i'm so glad you and your family are safe.

GregD 05-14-2007 12:07 PM

Paula,
I only had to hold him for a couple of minutes before the police got there. After smashing his face into the floor and having a 240lb. man sitting in the middle of his back with his right arm sticking straight up, he wasn't going anywhere.

Curious,
Let's go, I like ice cream!

Please let me say that if this guy had a gun, it would have been a completely different story. I would not and do not encourage anyone to try this. It could have gone the other way. The timing and opportunity were there. Besides, I just wasn't in the mood for it. It just ****** me off that a family can't go out for ice cream without some butthead ruining it.

I have to admitt my daughter is looking at Dad in a new light. She has heard stories of my exploits as a young man pre PD. She had never seen me actually get physical before. I'm sure she will think twice before pushing me too far.

GregD

stevem53 05-14-2007 12:44 PM

Greg..I take my hat off to you!..Good job!..Now theres a message of hope if Ive ever heard one

maryfrances 05-14-2007 01:11 PM

hero

Greg,

How extremely brave of you!

You are our hero!!!!

Mary :hug:

reverett123 05-14-2007 01:52 PM

greg - kudos!

that is great and i am so glad your daughter saw the real you. It will make such a difference for her in the years ahead and even after you are gone.

I have heard of pwp starting tai chi but have not heard of any taking up the more "energetic" martial arts. Do you think it would be profitable for pwp to do so - i guess i mean more so than tai chi (which my buddy refers to as "old man's karate :) )

EnglishCountryDancer 05-14-2007 04:48 PM

well done

but what a reflection on society.

GregD 05-14-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverett123 (Post 99408)
that is great and i am so glad your daughter saw the real you. It will make such a difference for her in the years ahead and even after you are gone.

I have heard of pwp starting tai chi but have not heard of any taking up the more "energetic" martial arts. Do you think it would be profitable for pwp to do so - i guess i mean more so than tai chi (which my buddy refers to as "old man's karate :) )

Rick,
It would depend on the severity of ones PD. Many of us have balance problems. Most martial arts require excellent balance. Aikido is a defensive martial art. It's a lot like judo. There are a lot of throws, and joint locking techniques.

Mary , I'm no hero. If you want a hero look to the men and women in our military. They are heros. I just did what I felt I had to do.

GregD